Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
silverbear

Gong Li - 巩俐

19 posts in this topic

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

English Name: Gong Li

Chinese Name: 巩俐

Birthplace: Shenyang, Liaoning, China

Birthdate: 31 December 1965

Horoscope: Capricon

Height: 170cm

Trivia:

She was still a student there when Zhang Yimou chose her in 1987 for the lead role in his first film as a director, Red Sorghum, which was awarded the Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival. She has since become one of the most successful actresses in Chinese cinema, with fame that has extended abroad to many areas. Her work has been recognized with awards from the Venice International Film Festival and New York Film Critics Circle, and she retains a strong popularity.

In addition to acting, she is also an exceptional singer, as demonstrated during her performance in Shanghai Triad. She was also presented the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in June 1998.

She starred in Zhang Yimou's films well into the mid-1990s. During their long collaboration, the two created a scandal for being long-term lovers, despite Zhang's marital status. The duo eventually broke up in 1995, and Gong Li married Singaporean tobacco tycoon Ooi Hoe Soeng the next year.

Gong Li's limited Hollywood appearances include 1997's Chinese Box, and expanded with 2005's Memoirs of a Geisha, in which she spoke English fluently, and she, in the words of Time Magazine film critic Richard Corliss, was "gloriously channeling Bette Davis" [2]. She also appears in the 2006 released film adaptation of Miami Vice.

She is also expected to team up with Zhang Yimou one more time in the upcoming Curse of the Golden Flower as well as starring in Hannibal Rising, the prequel to the other three Hannibal Lecter films.

In 2006, Premiere ranked her performance in Farewell My Concubine as the 89th greatest performance of all time.

Filmography:

Believe It or Not (2009)

Hannibal Rising (2007)

The Yellow M (2006)

Curse of the Golden Flower (2006)

Miami Vice (2006)

Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

Eros (2004)

2046 (2004)

Zhou Yu's Train (2002)

Breaking the Silence (1999)

The Emperor and the Assassin (1999)

Chinese Box (1997)

Temptress Moon (1996)

A Soul Haunted by Painting (1995)

Shanghai Triad (1995)

The Great Conqueror's Concubine (1994)

Dragon Chronicles (1994)

To Live (1994)

Flirting Scholar (1993)

Farewell My Concubine (1993)

Awakening (1992)

The Story of Qiu Ju (1992)

God of Gamblers III: Back to Shanghai (1991)

Party of a Wealthy Family (aka The Banquet) (1991)

Raise the Red Lantern (1992)

Ju Dou (1990)

The Empress Dowager (1989)

Operation Cougar (1989)

A Terracotta Warrior (1989)

Mr. Sunshine (1989)

Red Sorghum (1987)

+credits to wikipedia+

Gong Li had such an innocent face in 'raise the red lantern' ..the first movie i watched with her in..but her beauty stood out more in 'memoris of a geisha'...i watched geisha because of the other chinese girl..'forgot her name' but found gong li so much more prettier..then saw her on telly in 1 opening ceremony.(must be the curse of the golden flower one).wow..she's tall too! True asian beauty i reckon B)

she's a good actress but i havent seen alot movies of her

personally, i think Gong Li is in my top two Mainland Chinese actresses, her range of acting skills are pretty much second to none. she can express so many emotions and make you believe you are there with her feeling them for real.

From her Wikipedia filmography, i have seen most of her movies, and it is hard to find my favourite as she is superb in everyone i have seen. One that does stand out is The Story of Qiu Ju, maybe not very well known in the West.

Really like her out look in Curse of the golden flower. Although she is quite old, she is still in good shape.

Really like her out look in Curse of the golden flower. Although she is quite old, she is still in good shape.

yeh i agree, she has this elegance in her films when she acts. love to see her act in western roles.

never knew she was like 40+ already she doesnt look like it

she's definitly the most talented actress in hk and mainland

i saw her in curse of the golden flower. she has a nice chest but she was creepy in that movie.

oh I think rather the movie was creepy! actually it's a pleasure to watch her in any movie, I think she can take up any role! But that's only my opinion... ^^ as for her 'ches't, I remember a newspaper FRONT PAGE headline that told about her choosing a dress that had a neck line with a button ~ and she wasn't able to close the button... the comment was like ~ we, the chinese girls, have b..ps too.... Amazing what they can call NEWS!

I love her acting, in fact I love a lot of Asian Actresses that are in Hollywood e.g. Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi. Anyway she's a great actress and I'd love to see her in another movie with Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh; like in Memoirs of a Geisha.

Gong Li is an actress from china very beautiful and sexy with a lot of talent in acting, much loved for many people

I saw her in curse of the golden flower. She is very nice

yo for a forty something she still looks good, her acting is decent but wasnt she a fighting actress. u still gotta give it to her cuz there are so little asians in american movies

Edited by krzz

A beautiful and excellent actress in Curse of the golden Flowers and memoirs of a geisha.

I thought she was pretty when I watched her a long time ago in Red Lantern hang high and the conbubine with Leslie Chong and she still has her beautyn now. I do enjoy her acting but do not see her very much only in movies.

i love her very much and kind of admiring her deeply... i wish i had a hold of her for a second

Wow 46 years old now still so pretty, I like her in Flirting Scholar fresh and innocent of course very pretty too

She is a matured & graceful actress.

Kind of miss her. :blush:

she is gorgeous and a very talent actress I really like her in the curse of the golden flowers...