Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eternal Lover

[SG] I Not Stupid - 小孩不笨 [2002]

70 posts in this topic

notwg1.jpg

CAST

Jack Neo, Xiang Yun, Richard Low, Selena Tan, Huang Po-Ju, Shawn Lee, Joshua Ang, Cheryl Chan, Hossan Leong, Mark Lee, Patricia Mok

REVIEW

From Singaporean filmmaker Jack Neo comes this winning 2002 comedy, I Not Stupid, a film that illustrates the trials and tribulations of three young boys in their never-ending quest for good grades in Singapore's cutthroat educational system. As classmates in the undesirable EM3 category, the three boys are labeled by society as worthless, and the resulting pressure confounds the youngsters in all their attempts to improve.

In many ways, the film is an allegory for the social realties of modern day Singapore. Our chubby narrator, Terry Khoo (Huang Po-Ju) is a critique of the stereotypical Singaporean. As the son of a wealthy Ba Gua (BBQ pork) tycoon, he's a spoiled child, so completely coddled by his mother that he is unable to think for himself. Terry's mother, Mrs. Khoo (Selena Tan) is a thinly veiled stand-in for the government, who passes out gifts to her children to stave off rebellion. Though her "mother-knows-best" mentality comes from a love for her kids, she invariably strips them of their freedoms in the process. Terry's friends Liu Kok-Pin (Shawn Lee) and Ang Boon-Hock (Joshua Ang) symbolize those students left behind in the dizzying, unnecessarily dire educational process. Though Kok-Pin is a talented artist, his inability to perform well academically causes people to look on him as a failure. And despite being unfairly labeled by society, Boon-Hock remains a hard-working student who strives to pull himself out of the EM3 chasm in his bid for respectability.

From Chinese self-loathing to student suicide, I Not Stupid covers a variety of serious subjects, but all the while maintains a light comedic touch. Jack Neo belies the silliness of his film's title by making it a clever, well-crafted social commentary and a damn good film to boot.

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Credit to LoveHKFilm

Edited by SiLvErBeAr

i find the plot of the movie VERY TRUE, a lot of parents just expect so much from their kids nowadays... there's actually a sequel to this movie, two of the kids grew up to be teenagers getting into even more serious trouble with their parents.. i think it's a good movie for parents to watch as well :nodnod:

welll...in a way...u will realize that...kids are actually "have heart" more than the parents....it shows friendship...well..i don't rreally remember..it's about the fat kids helping his friend's mother's health right?

OMG, this was the most boring movie ever.. i didnt like it at all.. the plot was bad and the actors are like.. not good at all.. i dont recomend this movie

i remember seeing this a long long time ago. my mom kept criticizing me about it cuz the kids in the movie did things that i didn't do ><;; i remember i cried when the little kid was diagnosed with leukemia.

very unique movie.. never hav i seen a movie in a KID's perspective...

it was overall decent.. some parts were sooo true to me

It is funny and very educational. Kids will find it more entertaining.....

Edited by twinklesstars

haha this movie jus shown on channel 8 last last week

nice re-watching it again

local humor, jack's style

meaningful and educational story, good for kids to watch esp

overall - 7.5/10

*support local film!! *

In general most people will not understand this movie if they dont understand Singapore.

You need to understand the life style and education system and you will get the funny bone

laughing.

Is like me watching some Korean movie.

I never understand will the rich people cannot marry the poor people there in many movies

that I have seen.

I love movie :inlove:

I don't like the movie. May be the story is good but I am not quite understand what they want to tell us.

should let all the parents in sg watch this show man..

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!! it was soo funny. I also like I not stupid 2

touching touching movie with thinges of humour absolutely worth a watch... singlish! :)

This movie I watched it last year, it is quite meaningful especially there is a screne where the younger son wanted to use money to buy his father time to watch his play in the school. Some of the screnes are very touching too.

this movie is really meanful and touching towards the end of the movie, the rich kid was so funny in the movie when he act really dumb

yeah saw this movie, thought it was pretty funny, and at least very original, had a few good laughs;)

the movie was ok, I even did a speech on it

the fat guy was funny

he always gets teased

I saw the 1st movie. It was really great because it was funny and a feel-good movie at the same time.

This movie is so funny the way shows the pressures of being a kid. I can't wait to see the 2nd one.

Watched this movie a couple of years ago. Good stuff. A bit teary though.

From Chinese self-loathing to student suicide, I Not Stupid covers a variety of serious subjects, but all the while maintains a light comedic touch. Jack Neo belies the silliness of his film's title by making it a clever, well-crafted social commentary and a damn good film to boot.

i find it. super lame.

another jack neo's movie. sounds like a funny one to watch