Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eternal Lover

[SG] I Not Stupid - 小孩不笨 [2002]

70 posts in this topic

notwg1.jpg

CAST

Jack Neo, Xiang Yun, Richard Low, Selena Tan, Huang Po-Ju, Shawn Lee, Joshua Ang, Cheryl Chan, Hossan Leong, Mark Lee, Patricia Mok

REVIEW

From Singaporean filmmaker Jack Neo comes this winning 2002 comedy, I Not Stupid, a film that illustrates the trials and tribulations of three young boys in their never-ending quest for good grades in Singapore's cutthroat educational system. As classmates in the undesirable EM3 category, the three boys are labeled by society as worthless, and the resulting pressure confounds the youngsters in all their attempts to improve.

In many ways, the film is an allegory for the social realties of modern day Singapore. Our chubby narrator, Terry Khoo (Huang Po-Ju) is a critique of the stereotypical Singaporean. As the son of a wealthy Ba Gua (BBQ pork) tycoon, he's a spoiled child, so completely coddled by his mother that he is unable to think for himself. Terry's mother, Mrs. Khoo (Selena Tan) is a thinly veiled stand-in for the government, who passes out gifts to her children to stave off rebellion. Though her "mother-knows-best" mentality comes from a love for her kids, she invariably strips them of their freedoms in the process. Terry's friends Liu Kok-Pin (Shawn Lee) and Ang Boon-Hock (Joshua Ang) symbolize those students left behind in the dizzying, unnecessarily dire educational process. Though Kok-Pin is a talented artist, his inability to perform well academically causes people to look on him as a failure. And despite being unfairly labeled by society, Boon-Hock remains a hard-working student who strives to pull himself out of the EM3 chasm in his bid for respectability.

From Chinese self-loathing to student suicide, I Not Stupid covers a variety of serious subjects, but all the while maintains a light comedic touch. Jack Neo belies the silliness of his film's title by making it a clever, well-crafted social commentary and a damn good film to boot.

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Credit to LoveHKFilm

Edited by SiLvErBeAr

it was a cute movie and very funny me & BOYFRIEND LOVEDIT =d

This was such a cute movie with those little kids. It might seem like a kids movie, but it's one of those where the older you are the more you understand from it. If you're feeling worthless, watch it because it might just make you want to work hard and succeed! Remember to watch it in the original language though, because Singapore English is VERY VERY interesting. :D

wow looks funny, can't wait to see this movies. interesting.........

Well, i dont really like it because its kinda boring to me

At first, it didn't seems to be a good movie but when i watched it, it was really good!!!!! :) I know that it was in the Singaporean box office hits so i highly recommended it! Can't wait to watch the second one :D

QUOTE(kool @ Jan 12 2007, 08:17 PM)

wow looks funny, can't wait to see this movies. interesting.........

Well, i dont really like it because its kinda boring to me

I watched it and I did not find funny or interesting after all.I do not even get the meaning of this movie.

To be honest, this movie is only so-so. Jack Neo's film normally try to reach out to the audience in the most obvious and sentimental way possible; which doesn't really suit me. If you are born in Singapore or Malaysia, the movie certainly strike a chord; otherwise watch with patience.

at first i thought this would be a very boring movie..however at the end i thought it was very funny and there were sum touching parts...i guess if you want a relzxing movie i would recommend this one....

This was such a cute movie with those little kids. It might seem like a kids movie, but it's one of those where the older you are the more you understand from it. If you're feeling worthless, watch it because it might just make you want to work hard and succeed! Remember to watch it in the original language though, because Singapore English is VERY VERY interesting

hahaha, I remember this movie! :] My mandarin teacher showed it in class when I was taking it in high school. It was hilarious. :D

what second one? what second one are we talking about? I need to know

I have this movie and I find it very funny....I think it is because I am from Malaysia and the accents and stuff makes it funny, almost like a stereotype, but it's true

AHAH this movie is so funny...eps the mando version coz u hear the one of da mum's speakin in english. In the canto version, they translated the english parts so it wasnt as funny. I havent seen da second one yet...buh i will sometime, maybe later when i can be bothered to dl it...lolz

are there any i not stupid 2?

i not stupid one is so great, i love the fat guy character teh best!~

super great movie! I.Not.Stupid 2 is very good too..it talks about what problems the kids are facing after they become 14/15 years old teenagers...highly recommended !

I have always enjoyed singapore made movies by Jack Neo... Funny and entertaining... lol the way they mix the Hokkien language with English and Mandarin... It's Rojak.. But i love it

i didn't really like this movie. although the kids were amusing to watch.

i just watched this movie... it's very inspiring at the end when the kids tell their parents how they really feel... there are a lot of funny moment in the movie as well... this is my first singapore movie and it was pretty good!!!

this movie was ok, i didn't really like this movie. But some parts were funny.

this movie is such a classic! I really like the storyline and the theme behind it. To top it off, the kids really acted well and managed to make the movie full of humour

This movie was so funny! Must watch it in their original language so can have a good laugh!!

An excellent excellent movie. It depicts the life of children in Singapore really well.