Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Kurosaki Ichigo

[TVB-A] Journey To The West - 西游记 [1996]

160 posts in this topic

p1001812693un0.jpg

Story

Being a devout Buddhist and knowing a bit about Chinese folklore and mythologies, I cannot help being agitated at the naive view of the producer. It was evident from tacky scripts that the scriptwriters were ignorant of the real Buddhist teaching. It was also fair to say that the whole series has lost sight of the original theme of being a holy quest of a monk and his disciples. The whole show has basically been reduced into a whimsical serial, although admittedly a well-done production on its own.

The basic story is about a young monk in the era of Tang Dynasty set foot westward to fetch Buddhism Cannons back to China to reestablish Buddhism fate. From help of Goddess of Mercy (Guan Yim), he gained three disciples and a white horse, which was originally a dragon prince. Together, they braved various dangers throughout the long journey that took over a decade.

This is really a religious tale favored with many fantasy ideologies, mixed with folklore and myths. The main four characters should show their developments in saintliness and their understandings of Buddha's words as they progressed in their journey (Please read on. This is really a review, not a brochure to convert your belief. * smile *).

The monk, in my opinion, should be an ordinary man with strong determination and benevolent character. Yet, he was without means of protection, hence the need of three disciples to help him go through all obstacles. All the way, he and the others would get tested and tempted numerous times in many ways, but he would remain steadfast and went on after subduing the cause of those desires. Demons represented human sins, and the monk had to learn to leave all the desire in order to attain the ultimate step in Buddhism world.

Cast

Kong Wah as the Tang monk

I think he was the best candidate among the actors in TVB at the time although I don't think he fit that well with the role's description. The monk is supposed to be youthful and rather fragile looking. He is supposed to have the fair skin and tempting look for all demons out there to eat him. Kong Wah looked a bit old and was not innocent enough. Remember that this monk grew up in the temple. He was ordained since young and very clever and enlightened in learning sutras but should be rather naive when dealing with worldly matters such as love. These qualities were not portrayed at all through Kong Wah. All I saw was one confused monk who seemed so superficial. He seemed so strong and sure of himself at times that I wondered why Guan Yim even bothered to send the monkey god to protect him, whereas he could just get out of any hardships by uttering sutras, and voila! yellow letters would come out around him and worked miracles.

Dicky Cheung as the monkey god

His 'yo' trademark seemed to be a pioneer for every artist to imitate him when he/she is in a similar role. I found his character lively and lovable although not exactly monkey-like. Admittedly, I'm impressed with his energetic acting although I think he was still far from showing a real monkey side. He was very active in the scenes where he was the focus character. However, he would remain still when the camera was not on him. He was a funny character for sure, but I sometimes wished that he would show a bit restlessness when he transformed himself. The best monkey god that I have seen so far was the one from Chinese production's JTTW. That was a true monkey there.

Wayne Lai as the pig demon

Despite his inadequate makeup, Wayne Lai was my most favorite character in this series. He had a great chemistry with Dicky Cheung. His personal stories were interesting, and his mishaps were rather entertaining due to his cute acting. There is nothing much to say about this character. He was sent to disrupt the journey and practically to distinguish the fine qualities of his fellow travelers opposite to all his weaknesses. He learned his lessons the hard way throughout the journey though, and his master was kind enough to forgive him every time

The third disciple and the horse:

** sigh ** It would have been better if they had foregone the white horse. The horse seemed to magically disappear at any 'convenient' time. The water demon was pathetically stupid although he was a bit smarter in this series than the sequel. Their characters were much neglected in contrast to the first two disciples.

Edited by Kurosaki Ichigo

this is the best series ever! i actually think that this is the first series I ever watched all the way through. Dicky is awesome!!!

out of the 3 series of this journey to the west series the 1st one will always dominate. the other two part to this one flop so bad especially number 3 when they use too much cartoony graphics.

OMG my childhood, i love dicky, he is so funny and hilarious, same with wayne lai! i love benny chan, but i just didnt like him doing the second one. i was so devastated when i heard dicky wasnt doing the second one, but its still good, its so funny!

this series is amazing. the special effects impressed me alot. i never knew that they can make so much things out of it.

my first and favorite series. <3 esp bc i was a kid. i love the acting. and it was a really good kid drama

i rewatched this series not long ago and it was a good series. i couldn't believe i could remember some of the plotlines since i haven't watch this series in a decade or so. this is always a classic, with great acting skills by the main characters

i watched this series so many times over and over again. its really good. i love this. every episode just makes you want to keep watching until you finish and it is funny too. i love this series

this series was like one of my favorate when i was little.... my favortie character was the pig and the monkey :D

dicky played the monkey great... he was suited to play the monkey with his antics...enjoyed watching this when i was young, and the song is catchy

mai favorite villans were the one with the three animals...the tiger, the bear and the goat because that was they were the funniest villans of all

haha This series was really good. I keep watching it every now and then. Storyline is really catchy. Too bad, Dicky didn't continue the role in the second one (Benny Chan replaced him).

i've only seen the second part of it with benny chan? is that his name?

i really like it. i love this series...

i prefer old TVB dramas than the dramas lately...the story plot isn't as good as the old ones.

just finished watching this again, and i must day dicky cheung was very good in it. I enjoyed watching his character and how he evolved, and how he made me laugh non-stop.

this was my favorite journey to the west because dicky is in it...this was better than the one with benny chan :D

i first watche dhtis when i was a kid, and hav watche dit several times since. cant get sick of this show... its one of tvb's classic!

i am madly in love with this version and i just cant get bored of it no mater how many times i watch it !

good series. but it was more of a comdey insert of a literacy. but it was a nice change, enjoy this one

I think this series is one of the masterpieces of TVB

Dicky is very good in his character...Like a real monkey! :))

I like the play of Kwong wa so muchh

He is a very talented actor :93:

I like his series because Dicky play the monkey king so well. He really did a great job being the monkey king. He is a good actor.

This is one of my all time favorites, it really captivated my attention when I saw it, and I really like dicky portraying the monkey king compared to benny chan.

I love this series. Dicky was very good as the monkey king. I was little disappointed when he wasn't in part 2.