Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Kurosaki Ichigo

[TVB-A] Journey To The West - 西游记 [1996]

160 posts in this topic

p1001812693un0.jpg

Story

Being a devout Buddhist and knowing a bit about Chinese folklore and mythologies, I cannot help being agitated at the naive view of the producer. It was evident from tacky scripts that the scriptwriters were ignorant of the real Buddhist teaching. It was also fair to say that the whole series has lost sight of the original theme of being a holy quest of a monk and his disciples. The whole show has basically been reduced into a whimsical serial, although admittedly a well-done production on its own.

The basic story is about a young monk in the era of Tang Dynasty set foot westward to fetch Buddhism Cannons back to China to reestablish Buddhism fate. From help of Goddess of Mercy (Guan Yim), he gained three disciples and a white horse, which was originally a dragon prince. Together, they braved various dangers throughout the long journey that took over a decade.

This is really a religious tale favored with many fantasy ideologies, mixed with folklore and myths. The main four characters should show their developments in saintliness and their understandings of Buddha's words as they progressed in their journey (Please read on. This is really a review, not a brochure to convert your belief. * smile *).

The monk, in my opinion, should be an ordinary man with strong determination and benevolent character. Yet, he was without means of protection, hence the need of three disciples to help him go through all obstacles. All the way, he and the others would get tested and tempted numerous times in many ways, but he would remain steadfast and went on after subduing the cause of those desires. Demons represented human sins, and the monk had to learn to leave all the desire in order to attain the ultimate step in Buddhism world.

Cast

Kong Wah as the Tang monk

I think he was the best candidate among the actors in TVB at the time although I don't think he fit that well with the role's description. The monk is supposed to be youthful and rather fragile looking. He is supposed to have the fair skin and tempting look for all demons out there to eat him. Kong Wah looked a bit old and was not innocent enough. Remember that this monk grew up in the temple. He was ordained since young and very clever and enlightened in learning sutras but should be rather naive when dealing with worldly matters such as love. These qualities were not portrayed at all through Kong Wah. All I saw was one confused monk who seemed so superficial. He seemed so strong and sure of himself at times that I wondered why Guan Yim even bothered to send the monkey god to protect him, whereas he could just get out of any hardships by uttering sutras, and voila! yellow letters would come out around him and worked miracles.

Dicky Cheung as the monkey god

His 'yo' trademark seemed to be a pioneer for every artist to imitate him when he/she is in a similar role. I found his character lively and lovable although not exactly monkey-like. Admittedly, I'm impressed with his energetic acting although I think he was still far from showing a real monkey side. He was very active in the scenes where he was the focus character. However, he would remain still when the camera was not on him. He was a funny character for sure, but I sometimes wished that he would show a bit restlessness when he transformed himself. The best monkey god that I have seen so far was the one from Chinese production's JTTW. That was a true monkey there.

Wayne Lai as the pig demon

Despite his inadequate makeup, Wayne Lai was my most favorite character in this series. He had a great chemistry with Dicky Cheung. His personal stories were interesting, and his mishaps were rather entertaining due to his cute acting. There is nothing much to say about this character. He was sent to disrupt the journey and practically to distinguish the fine qualities of his fellow travelers opposite to all his weaknesses. He learned his lessons the hard way throughout the journey though, and his master was kind enough to forgive him every time

The third disciple and the horse:

** sigh ** It would have been better if they had foregone the white horse. The horse seemed to magically disappear at any 'convenient' time. The water demon was pathetically stupid although he was a bit smarter in this series than the sequel. Their characters were much neglected in contrast to the first two disciples.

Edited by Kurosaki Ichigo

this series impresssed me alot. i think the first one was better then the others because dicky's acting is very funny and humorous. although he isn't in the other ones, i believe the new "journey to the west" can be good.

watched the second series and it was very good. i look forward to watching this if i got the chance to download.

i loved the twists and turns of this show... it kept me laughing the whole time.

omgg i love this series..the new onee with twins.. was okay..but could never top the old one

aww! this series was the best ever!! i remember when i was young, i was in school, and iwas wishing badly to go home as soon as possible to continue watching the series!! i love it!

Yeah...i do have to agree that JTTW with Dicky in it is sooo funny. I think Dicky, Wayne and Evergreen...are just the funnist trio....they really bring laughter to the series....I bet they really develop good chemistry as good friends afterwards. Sometimes it's so funny how Dicky always kick Wayne in the tummy...and say "say fay chu"...lol....he's so lazy....and always fooling around with girls...lol....so "dai da" (worth to be hit by Dicky).

Edited by sk*

Yeah I love that series. I re-watched it a few times but jouney to the west II was eh...

I used to watch this a little while ago. You can never get sick of it, I think everyone froma ll different age groups enjoys this :)

Yes my wee bro especially loves it. its so funny.

have anyone seen the new version of dicky cheung journey to the west which its named different and it has special casting of some popstars??

dicky is such a funny actor. love his series but this 1 they changed actor at the second season which made it bad.

"Journey to the West" with Dicky is funnier than the second series. It's a classic! must have series!

I think my aunt said Dicky is as active/energetic ("woot poot") and stuff than the first actor... But I saw the whole thing on VCD and thought it was still pretty good and I also don't like the character change in JTTW2 like other said on this thread.

Ya, this series is awesome. I am sure everyone have watched ^_^ since it's so great, especially Dicky's acting in this one.

i like part 2 ( more funnier) espcially the piggy man....he made me totally laugh since the first episode to the end..

I loved this series when i watched it, like 7 years old or something. Now, i got my dad to buy it and i'm like...whoa, the graphics are soo bad..how did i ever like this movie? but anyways, it was a classic.

love the original series and great humor da most memorable villian was the lion, the goat and the bear becuase it was mad funni how dey acted

never really thought much of this series as being bad but now that u mention it it does seem worse and in a lesser light but still i think its okay and can be of a laugh when ur bored

lol i remember this serie..when i was little me and my brother use to pretend we were that monkey..but i was fat and he FORCED me to be the pig =( lol

I like the one with twins in it. Especially the intro of the monkey.

seen this series for almost 4 times. very funny. especially the pig quarrel the monkey