Followers 0
sh33pymd

Juliette Louie was crowned Miss Hong Kong, but netizens cry foul over her win

8 posts in this topic

Source: ASian E-News Portal/SCMP/Ming Pao/Youtube

fb5b5a6c057daf2522cd9095620ac55f.jpg

fb54df2c0ab7e206ee3f6a582a45155e.jpg

fb4c6d2cddfabf5797871e18b776d890.jpg

Juliette Louie was crowned Miss Hong Kong 2017 last night, while Regina Ho and Emily Wong are the first runner-up and second runner-up respectively. Boanne Cheung won the title of The most popular Miss Hong Kong 2017 from the Big Big Channel.

However, Juliette is criticised for not being beautiful and poor in Cantonese by the netizens. When speaking to the press, she said : "I am aware of it but it is others' opinions. The world is big and it is hard to please everybody. (Some point out that you have protruding tooth and resemble the basketball star, Luis Alberto Suarez Diaz?) It is funny. (Unhappy?) Nope. I am chosen by the professional judges and always have confidence in myself. I am not bothered by these comments and find it funny. (Thinking of wearing braces?) It does not cross my mind and I am happy with my smiles. I am ambitious and wish to venture into Hollywood. I know I am not the most beautiful but do not want to undergo any changes. (Netizens suspect foul play?) It is normal for the judges to choose this time and they are professional. They are in the showbiz for many years and can see who has the most potential. I believe it is a right method."

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but there have been Miss HK contestants whose Cantonese was worse.

I have to agree that she might not be the most beautiful among the contestants but the competition is not only about appearance. Intellectual and etc is taken into account as well.

I agree that she isn't the prettiest one in the pageant but sometimes it's the contestants personality that may have won the judge's vote.

congratulations to her. maybe she won more points on other stuff, not everything is about looks.

Judging from the photos, I didn't she was THAT ugly, what are people talking about? She is actually not bad looking...I reckon these days beauty pageants are not like the olden days, it's not all about looks, I'm sure they take into consideration other factors too!

Agree.. Looks is not all that count but don't it take 60% to 70% of the score.  One more thing that I don't understand is how can a forigner become Miss HK.  She look mix to me and also If you can't speak fluently cantonese how can you consider yourself as HKee.  The theme is Miss Hong Kong and if Miss Hong Kong can't speak fluently or understand cantonese how can they represent Hong Kong.  Each year Miss Hong Kong is worser that each year.  Why just don't change the name from Miss Hong Kong pageants to Miss Pagent so any nationailty can be in it.  

I also agree with some that she might not be the most beautiful among the contestants but the competition is about all other things too other than appearance.