5 decades and 200 films later, Jackie Chan finally wins an Oscar

40 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts HK/MingPao

Video: Youtube

b498e970e168b9e4be597a797440a956.jpg

b49907fa05d2f0c5b03fb7840b72889f.jpg

b49914b2ab742b998eef78868583b2b6.jpg

b498f944cb0237e48331292c3523c4fb.jpg

When Jackie Chan saw an Oscar at Sylvester Stallone's house 23 years ago, he said that was the moment he decided he wanted one. On Saturday at the annual Governors Awards, the Hong Kong-Chinese actor and martial arts star finally received his little gold statuette, an honorary Oscar for his decades of work in film.

"After 56 years in the film industry, making more than 200 films, after so many bones, finally," Chan, 62, quipped at the star-studded gala dinner while holding his Oscar. The actor recalled watching the ceremony with his parents and his father always asking him why he didn't have Hollywood's top accolade despite having made so many movies. He praised his hometown Hong Kong for making him "proud to be Chinese," and thanked his fans, saying they were the reason "I continue to make movies, jumping through windows, kicking and punching, breaking my bones."

The actor was introduced by his "Rush Hour" co-star Chris Tucker, actress Michelle Yeoh and Tom Hanks, who referred to him as "Jackie 'Chantastic' Chan." Hanks said it was especially gratifying to be able to acknowledge Chan's work because martial arts and action comedy films were two genres often overlooked during awards season.

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, hosts of the annual ceremony, also bestowed honorary Oscars on British film editor Anne V. Coates, casting director Lynn Stalmaster and prolific documentarian Frederick Wiseman. The evening was attended by Hollywood's elite, including Denzel Washington, Lupita Nyong'o, Nicole Kidman, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Amy Adams and Dev Patel.

Stalmaster, 88, credited with securing career-defining roles for actors such as Jeff Bridges, Andy Garcia, Christopher Reeve and John Travolta, is the first casting director to receive an Oscar. Coates, 90, who won the film editing Oscar for 1962's "Lawrence of Arabia" and has edited more than 50 films, said she shared her honorary Oscar "with all the unsung heroes" of filmmaking. Wiseman, 86, whose documentaries include 1970's "Hospital," 1987's "Blind" and last year's "In Jackson Heights," said: "I think it's as important to document kindness, ability and generosity of spirit as it is to show cruelty, banality and indifference," he said.

Congrats to Jackie Chan. He deserve every bit of it

Congratulations to Jackie Chan! It was about time he got one for his outstanding performances.

Congrats to Jackie. He certainly deserves to be recognized for everything he's contributed to the genre.

That's a well-deserved Oscar for Jackie Chan. It's nice of Hollywood to recognize his contribution to the film industry even though most of his films were made in Asia.

Congrats to Jackie, it's been a long time coming, his dedication to the film ( and entertainment ) industry has been massive

Jackie Chan sums it up perfectly when he says "After 56 years in the film industry, making more than 200 films, after so many bones, finally". If he was not being modest he could have said that he is one of the biggest stars in the world especially when you take into account his audience in China and the far east alone. I am one of his billion fans and I have enjoyed watching his movies through the decades. Some of his movies have been trend setting, spectacular, full of style and flair, comedy and serious. The Oscar has been long overdue and I am very happy he has finally got his hands on one.

Congrats to Jackie, after all these years of filming, he finally gets recognition world-wide.

Congrats to Jackie, he has worked extraordinary well throughout his career,making all Chinese proud of him.

congrats to him! well deserved after so many years of hard work

Personally not a huge fan of Jackie, met him in person and was rude and unaccommodating. However no doubt he is a good actor with great martial arts skills so congratulations to him

I was wondering how he could get an Oscar when it is not even Oscar season yet....it's only an honorary award...

Congratulations to Jackie for winning the Oscar! He deserves this huge recognition!

Congrat to Jackie..... He well deserve it for all the broken bones, punch, and kicks

wow congratulations to him. he really deserved one. i'm quite surprised he hasn't got one before...

wow congrats. even though he is not necessary a good father/husband, he is dedicated to the arts.

wow, that is pretty awesome. yeah, the oscars usually doesn't cover his genre of films, so im happy he is getting recognized for his hard work. congratulations for finally getting an oscar!

Congras, he deserved it He is really a great star and shld be honour round the world

Wow congrats jackie, but is this a legitimate oscar? It says governor award so does that even count?

Jackie Chan is THE GREATEST AMONG GREATEST ! Me and my whole family been watching him since I born. Thanks for all good memories watching you with my Friends and Families ! Always good laugh and Happy !

Congratulation to Jackie Chan on bestowed honorary Oscars. Hope you have more award coming to you.