Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

Man refuses to pay HKD190 taxi fare then sets cab on fire

7 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts HK/Appledaily

1470546506_761c.jpg

1470546398_d646.jpg

A 28-year-old Hong Kong man was arrested yesterday after he refused to pay his taxi fare, doused the car in paint thinner and allegedly set it on fire. At 11am yesterday, the man, surnamed Chan, hailed a cab from To Kwa Wan to Tuen Mun's Leung King Estate, but said he didn't have enough money to pay the HKD190 fare upon arriving at his destination, Apple Daily reports. He suggested asking his relatives who live at Leung King Estate for cash.

The 71-year-old taxi driver, surnamed Cheng, accompanied Chan to where he claimed his family lived, but nobody answered the door. Cheng told Apple Daily that Chan then went back into the car and started smoking a cigarette before suddenly dousing the car in "something that smelled like paint thinner" and running away. "I chased after him and people on the street told me that my taxi had gone up in flames." Bystanders who heard Cheng's shouts for help subdued Chan and held him until police arrived.

That guy is nuts!!! so instead of paying the money, he set the taxi on fire and is now locked up!! Smart.. real smart!

I agree - this guy is crazy. Why set the taxi on fire? It wont make his taxi fare disappear. He has only made it worse for himself. I feel really sorry for Chen who is still working at 71 years old. He not only his fare but also his taxi. This is his livelyhood and it has been lost by the act of some idiot.

This is a lose-lose situation ... the taxi driver who's 71 years-old just lost his livelihood and the arsonist got locked up in jail for committing arson (set a taxi cab on fire because he refused to pay the fare of 190 HKD) :76: ... if you don't have money to pay the taxi fare, then walk or ride a bike ... please don't destroy other people's livelihood by burning their taxi cabs just because you don't have the money to pay for the fare ... :76:

That's normal in the world of crazies that we live in.

that is just really bad. the guy should be arrested for taking taxi without paying the fare. a lot of crazy people out there.

Any job dealing with the public has it's dangers. You never know what type of characters are out there. The taxi driver should feel lucky to be unharmed by this crazy customer. You never know how strangers react in situations.