Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

Scissors inside nurse’s pocket get sucked into MRI scanner

7 posts in this topic

Source: ejinsight/Appledaily

 

1348824_7b01dbb7c916aad9235f1c400ca6e26e-692x360.jpg

 

21la2p02.jpg

 

a0204a.gif

 

A pair of scissors mistakenly taken by a nurse into the MRI room of Union Hospital in Sha Tin went flying due to the magnetic suction. Luckily, a three-year-old boy who was about to undergo a Magnetic Resonance Imaging scan and his mother standing next to him were not injured in the incident, Apple Daily reports.

 

The mother, surnamed Leung, was furious at hospital staff for failing to observe safety regulations. “How can I trust them again?” she said. Leung said an MRI scan was scheduled for her son on Monday for an ear polyp. The boy was taken into the MRI room at 8 p.m. with two nurses giving him a sedative injection. Leung said she noticed a nurse had a pair of scissors in her pocket. After nearly 10 minutes, it was announced that the dosage of the sedation jab was not strong enough, so an extra one was required. The two nurses, who were waiting outside, were called in. While the nurses were giving the second injection, a big bang was heard. Soon everyone in the room realized that the pair of scissors was sucked into the MRI machine. The scissors brushed against the stomach of Leung, who was standing at the time, and went flying above the boy, who was lying flat, and straight into the machine.

 

According to Leung, the two nurses appeared shocked and had no idea what happened until they saw the pair of scissors stuck on the wall of the machine. Another nurse was seen quickly taking her earrings off. In the end Leung’s son was not able to complete the MRI scan.

 

Legislator Kwok Ka-ki, representing the medical functional constituency, said such an accident was rare as medical staff should be fully aware of the huge magnetic suction power of the MRI machine. Kwok said the mistake was unacceptable even if the nurses were busy, adding that the hospital should issue an apology.

 

Union Hospital said the nurses responsible were not carrying any metal objects when they gave the boy the first injection. A nurse had forgotten to put down a pair of scissors when she was summoned into the room for the second injection, causing the incident. The hospital said the nurse had immediately apologized to Leung and the boy. The Department of Health said it was following up on the incident with the hospital administration.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG that is so scary! The mom could have been stabbed!! just glad everyone is OK but really careless of the nurse!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This incident was frightening but miraculously no one was injured ... hopefully this incident will serve as a valuable lesson to future nurses of the real danger of bringing metallic objects especially scissors into the MRI scanner room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty freaking easy to understand that no metal should be in THAT type of room. Hope she gets fired..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nurse should have known not to have any metallic objects with her, when she is in a room with an MRI. As that is a very powerful electro-magnet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is beyond scary and must pursue legal action as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the nurse should know better and she shouldn't put the scissors in her pockets while she is doing MRI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0