Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

HKU researchers engineer salmonella bacteria to kill cancer cells

6 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts hk

huang_hku_collage_salmonella.jpg

hku_scientists.jpg

Researchers at the Li Ka Shung Faculty of Medicine in HKU’s school of biomedical sciences have engineered the salmonella bacteria into a DNA-altered bacteria which they hope will be able to destroy cancerous tumours in the future.

The DNA-altered bacteria – dubbed YB1 – can only grow in an oxygen free environment such as the inside of a tumour, so researchers hope YB1 can be used to treat malignant cancer growths without damaging healthy tissue. Research into the capability of these bacteria has been occurring for years, but it is difficult to target tumours without attacking healthy tissue and further harming patients. Salmonella is commonly found in uncooked meat and eggs. It can cause some nasty stomach pains, fever and diarrhoea, also recognised as a pretty terrible case of food poisoning. In the future, scientists hope to use these engineered salmonella bacteria to transport medicine into the tumours.

According to the SCMP, a patent has recently been granted in the US and clinical trials should start within the next few years. The research, which has been tested on mice, has apparently yielded successful results so far. HKU reported that "in a breast cancer mouse model, tumour growth was reduced by 50 percent" whilst "in a liver cancer mouse model, tumour growth was remarkably suppressed by 90 percent" with the use of YB1.

So interesting, instead of researching for medicines to fight cancer, they are now modifying bacteria to do the work.

I'm not sure if everybody else feels the same way that I do. But I am very worried about this as we could have a "I Am Legend" moment. If this goes to trial.

DNA modified bacteria to attack cancerous cells sounds interesting remedy, if kind of strange.

I honestly always feel that there is already a cure for cancer.. but because of how much money the pharmaceutical company are making with drugs to contain it that the "cure" will never be available.

that is good news. hopefully they can further research this bacteria to ensure this can be cured for cancer.