Followers 0
sh33pymd

Airplane tyre blows up, kills 29-year-old worker in freak accident

13 posts in this topic

Source: ejinsight/Appledaily

1274996_1a3b029e40675e0adde2c1b9fbce85d1-692x360.jpg

01la1p20.jpg01la1p222.jpg

a0101a.gif

A worker died in a freak accident involving a blown-up aircraft tire, leaving behind his wife and their seven-month-old son, Apple Daily reports. The 29-year-old worker, surnamed Lau, had been working at Hang Fai Transportation Company for nine years, and his job was to transport aircraft tires from the Hong Kong International Airport to a repair and maintenance center at the Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate, and back.

The accident happened around 3 p.m. on Wednesday while Lau was trying to unload aircraft tires that just arrived from overseas for repair at the industrial estate. As he was pulling one of the tires, the one at the bottom exploded, propelling the one on top into the air before it hit him in the head. The impact knocked him down to the ground and rendered him unconscious.

Police and paramedics who arrived at the scene rushed him to the hospital, where he died later in the night. The wife, a 28-year-old mainlander, told Apple Daily that Lau’s employer paid a visit to their home but only left an envelope containing HK$100 as a token of condolence. She said she is determined to seek justice for her husband.

A spokesman for Goodrich Asia-Pacific Ltd., which operates the repair center, promised to provide support for Lau’s family. Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. Ltd. (00044.HK) is one of the shareholders of the company. The spokesman said the company has also contacted the airline firm who owns the tires for repair to jointly investigate the highly unusual accident.

OMG this is so sad. He died from his job so his job should be held responsible! His family will need the money! Child is still so small. So sad. May he rest in peace.

OMG this is so sad. He died from his job so his job should be held responsible! His family will need the money! Child is still so small. So sad. May he rest in peace.

I agree his family should be compensated for their loss and the airport needs to do a better job enforcing safety checks on their equipment.

Feel sorry for his family. Hope they should get compensated for their loss.

I'm sure they will investigate. Someone needs to be held accountable for his death. The widower should receive compensation for the loss. I would definitely sue.

Thats so sad, especially when he just have a kid, i hope there is some support for the kid and his wife. Truly a freak accident

Oh that is horrible! And he has kids as well! I have seen a truck tyre blow up and it is horrible! It actually sounds like a gunshot and the force of it can dent a car! My condolences to the family. Not only the $100 is not enough to compensate for one human life, it is also insulting to the family. I hope they do sue and get a payout as this is serious OHS. I also hope that other companies will review their OHS protocol and policies from now on to ensure that this does not happen to another family.

This is so tragic. Although it is a freak accident I do hope that a full investigation will be held in order to prevent any further accidents from exploding tires. They will need to determine why this tire exploded. It is very unfortunate that Mr Lau was facing the tire at the time.

so sad that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. family got to be compensated.

Weird accident that the tires blow up itself. The family must be compensated for their lost but also need to investigate why this incident occured.

that is pretty bad. the tire blew up at the spot. there is probably some kind of pressure in the tire causing to blow up.

Feel so sorry for the family. Hope the company compensate enough for them.

There should not be any second thoughts about compensating the family more so since he died while on the job.  His employer should assure the grieving family that compensation will be paid. Is he not covered under social security?