Followers 0
johnwai82

Kam Ying, Hong Kong’s only licensed pet monkey, dies at 18

8 posts in this topic

Source: Apply Daily/ Ejinsight

Edited: johnwai82

08la7p1.jpg

08la7p2.jpg

Kam Ying, the only monkey in Hong Kong with a license to be reared in a household has been put to sleep after the primate suffered serious dehydration, multiple bone fractures and brain dysfunction. The female rhesus macaque’s owner, 62-year-old Chan Yiu-wing said he was saddened by the loss of a “life companion”, which he said had accompanied him during a long period of hardships. “A debt can be cleared, but a relationship is forever lost,” said Chan, who inherited Kam Ying from his father Chan Yat-biu, who died in 2004. Chan Yat-biu who sold medicines for children had used Kam Ying to attract customers by training the pet to perform somersaults and other tricks. Chan had been a street hawker since the 1950s and registered his trademark featuring a monkey on an old man’s vest in 1959.

In May 2000, the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department confiscated Kam Ying but a magistrate ordered that the pet be returned to its owner. In view of the court ruling, the AFCD issued a license allowing Chan to keep the monkey as a household pet.

Chan Yiu-wing said he spent several years establishing a relationship with Kam Ying who appeared to have been deeply affected by his father’s death. In 2008, the family’s infant medicine business suffered a huge setback: pesticides were found in the drug. As a result Chan closed the business and his financial situation deteriorated and so did Kam Ying’s health. When AFCD veterinarians did a check-up on the monkey on Nov. 25 last year they found that Kam Ying was having symptoms of dehydration. The next day Chan was seized by panic after seeing Kam Ying immobilized. He rushed Kam Ying to an animal clinic and agreed to put the monkey to sleep the same evening after veterinarians confirmed its health issues were very serious. The monkey was 18 years old.

I hope that Kam Ying will get over the lost of his friend as I know how hard it is to loose someone who is close to you.

If people could have pet rocks, why not a pet monkey, at least a monkey could communicate with u. :( monkey dies RIP!

Pets have an innate ability to form relationships with their owners or the person that feeds them. I would say that the monkey was just really used to her initial owner.

I hope Kam Ying will get over the lost of great friend his pet monkey.

Any kind of death is hard ... my condolences to Mr. Chan and his family.

Dehydration and bone fractures? That's sad. Wonder why there were bone fractures though. Maybe accident or getting old. I know people do that with dogs too... It's just sad. Too bad we can't do the same to people as we do to other animals.

that is sad to hear. 18 years old that is pretty old for the monkey. hopefully the owner of the monkey can accept the truth.