Followers 0
johnwai82

Passenger lucky to escape injury as MTR escalator breaks apart

17 posts in this topic

Source: Ejinsight/ Apple Daily

Edited: johnwai82

a0603a.gif

a0603b.gif

A man narrowly escaped injury when an escalator in the Causeway Bay MTR station jammed and broke apart under his feet. The passenger surnamed Chung said he was lucky to walk away unscathed Apple Daily reports. MTR officials said a loose screw might have lodged in the teeth of the moving steel plate causing it to buckle and break apart. The is the second incident at the same station in three days which occurred on Wednesday morning as Chung was travelling from the platform to the concourse. Chung said he jumped forward when the escalator jammed at the top of the steps sending debris flying from the broken foot plate. “If it was an older passenger or someone on a smartphone, that person might have sustained serious injury,” Chung said. Five to ten people were behind him on the escalator and were helped to safety by MTR staff he said.

An MTR spokesperson said a contractor found a loose screw that might have caused the problem. The escalator last passed inspection on Dec 15. On Monday an escalator broke down in the Kowloon Tong station. Earlier this month similar incidents at Kowloon Bay station occurred and happened days apart. It was reported that there were no casualties.

The more I hear about these things the more paranoid I get. Can't imagine what would have happened had this occurred during rush hour.

After the people died after stepping onto faulty escalator panels, I am quite wary of taking escalators. I take stairs if I can.

I'm just glad that nobody was seriously hurt, but I would have expected escalators and elevators to be better maintained than this!

wow that is quite scary and could have had a much more serious outcome than this.

It is worrying that such an incident can happen. MTR need to look into this with utmost urgency as it could have ended up with something alot more serious. To happen a second time in such a short period of time and after safety checks is unbelievable. The safety checks were clearly not good enough and what and how it is carried out should be closely scrutenised.

This should remind us to all be very careful wherever we are and whatever we are doing.

It is good that there were no injuries. There could have been a lot of people on that escalator. The station is lucky that no one did get hurt.

wow that is scary! Causeway bay station has a lot of escalator too! I hope they check each one of them to make sure it's safe!

This seems to happen frequently in HK but this has gotten me a bit paranoid about our local escalators. These days, I always hold the rail whenever I use the escalator ...just in case!

too many incidents regarding escalator lately.. maintenance should be carried out more frequently

too many escalator incidents i guess its safer to take the stairs now a days

why all of a sudden so many escalator incidences?and at the MRT stations? is it a coincidence or is something else going on? at least it wasnt as bad as the china incident when someone died

It is lucky that no one was injured or killed unlike that incident in China where a child was ripped to death by the escalator steps when the step plate gave way suddenly. The sad thing was the staff knew about that before hand but did nothing about it like stopping the use of the esculator or put any warning signs on it.

Fortunately no one was hurt in this MTR escalator breakage ... MTR authorities need to perform safety maintenance on their escalators on a weekly basis.

It was lucky that nobody injured or killed. Hope MTR concentrate on their maintenance.

Escalators can be dangerous to use at time, sometimes you can see people trying to race to the top from the opposite direction. It was fortunate the man didn't get hurt but why would the out of function escalator continued be used!

that is pretty dangerous. luckily the passenger escape from the incident. MTR should investigate this incident and find out the cause of it.