Mad scramble for ‘diamonds’ on Nathan Road

16 posts in this topic

Source: Ejinsight

Image: Apple Daily

Youtube: Apple Daily

26ls8p1.jpg

26ls8p2new1.jpg

26ls8p6.jpg

Dozens of pedestrians were caught in a scramble for tiny sparkling objects littering a section of Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui on Wednesday night. Many were seen bending over or squatting as they searched and picked up what they presumably thought were diamonds or precious stones that spilled on the pavement. A witness surnamed Leung shot the commotion on video but decided not to participate in the mad rush for fear of getting arrested. The incident happened outside Manson House on Nathan Road opposite the Islamic Center at around 8:40 p.m with more than 50 people joining in the free-for-all Leung said. He said the participants included mainland tourists and a few South Asian-looking men. Policemen later arrived to investigate. One officer said he believed the “diamonds” were more likely plastic beads. “I didn’t pick any,” Leung said. “People should have learned the lesson of the Christmas Eve cash spill last year.” He was referring to an incident last Christmas Eve when a cargo van operated by security firm G4S spilled bundles of banknotes worth more than HK$15 million on a busy road in Wan Chai prompting a mad scramble for the cash. At least eight people found to have picked up the banknotes were arrested.

Picking up other people’s cash and other assets is considered a crime of opportunity in violation of the Theft Ordinance in Hong Kong. Offenders face a maximum jail sentence of 10 years lawyer Luk Wai-hung said.

Edited by R.E.D

where are these stupid guys came from ???? What the Hell !!!!

crazy to hear that ppl are crazily going onto Nathan Rd to grab these, it's such a busy road. Suspect that these are just cheap diamantes

it's too Sad its against the Law but the urge too too got one its more than a joy for those less fortunate maybe someone treasure.

i dont understand why they would think tons of diamonds would be spilled in the middle of the street...from where? and if that had happened, why wouldnt the owners be the ones there trying to get them back

Curious if they will get the diamonds back from the people who've picked it up, probably not if they are not been identified by cameras

That would be pretty crazy if they were diamonds and I agree it is more than likely the stones are imitations/plastic.

Have to remember that you can be arrested in HK for crimes of opportunity by picking up other people's cash or assets.

is this a test on people honesty. is also dangerous cos someone could of been hit by a vehicle.

wow that's crazy what happened? I wonder if they were actually diamonds

This showed people are so creepy and dishonest. I wouldn't think those little stones are real diamonds. It is interesting if police could find out who threw these stones on the street.

It's crazy as people are out in the street picking it up with cars coming to them! Not worth your life people!

so where did all the beads come from is another question!

That is embarrassing to get caught on camera in such a greedy mode! :xrofl:

Why would they assume the diamonds are real and where did it come from? I'm sure people think that if they can hide some of the diamonds they picked up it'll be worth possibly going to prison for. There would be no proof of how much they pocketed.

that is pretty interesting. those diamonds probably in that area by someone. they should be more careful and be aware of the surroundings.