Followers 0
sh33pymd

Students' video apology to teacher goes viral

6 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts HK

Images/youtube: Appledaily

semple_collage.jpg

12la5p5.jpg

A recently surfaced video of seven schoolchildren kneeling and begging for the forgiveness of their teacher has gone viral, with some raising concerns that the teacher must have mistreated them to cause such a reaction.

However, when a reporter for Apple Daily contacted the school - Semple Memorial Secondary School in Tuen Mun - the vice principal insisted that the students had made the video of their own accord to apologise for upsetting their teacher, surnamed Yuen.

The vice principal, surnamed Tang, told Apple Daily that the students had been caught copying homework from their peers. After the teacher rebuked them for not taking their upcoming exams seriously, the students continued to play video games in class, which reportedly provoked Yuen to cry in the classroom. Clearly her tears of exasperation moved the children, as they exclaimed "Sorry Ms Yuen, we committed a mistake. Could you please forgive us?" in the 20 second video, which was then shared on Yuen's Facebook page. While Yuen eventually forgave the students for their behaviour, the school has since warned the students that their method of apology was inappropriate.

The method of apology may be deemed as inappropriate, but I admire the courage of the students to beg for forgiveness.

It didn't appear inappropriate to me but rather, it was more sincere since the video is on the Internet and they were risking their own humiliation. I think that's a good start in self-discipline and consideration for others.

While the method of apology may have been inappropriate, it is ultimately up to the children to fail or succeed. A teacher guides students, it is up to them to use what they have learned.

Using social media is very insincere and more and more people use this method. Yet it's the viewers who were moved.

However I do hope the kids learnt their lesson. My intuition tells me they haven't.

I don't understand why they would apologized like this. but hopefully they learn their lessons and not to do it again.