Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

Fake monk, accomplice busted after selling ‘divine books’

8 posts in this topic

Source: ejinsight

1174822_e4de965caf171c149a7f9670cf0832f5-692x360.jpg

A man posing as a mute Buddhist monk has been busted by police after apparently fleecing bystanders out of money. He was not arrested but was told by police to pack up his wares and leave, according to Headline Daily.

The man set up a poster and a pull-up banner advertising a “divine book of Chinese horoscopes” in Tai Po market. Whenever curious pedestrians stopped to check, a female accomplice would emerge from nowhere and pretend to buy a booklet which came with a bracelet. The purchase would entice the crowd to follow suit.

In one sitting, the duo made more than HK$500 (US$64.50) in an hour. They moved to different locations twice before being found out. In their third set-up, the woman explained to the crowd that the “monk” was a spiritual leader from the mainland.

The book, at HK$20 each, was a bargain, she told passers-by. When police came, the woman had disappeared. The man produced a Hong Kong ID and a certificate from Shenzhen’s Hongfa Temple but he could not show proof that he is a monk. The officers ordered him leave the area, citing obstruction.

A reporter asked the man about the book but got only an angry stare before the latter hurriedly boarded a taxi. A souvenir shop valued the booklet and the bracelet at no more than HK$3 each. The same monk plied the same trade in Sham Shui Po in September 2014.

I'm surprised that the police didn't arrest him for selling fake goods and of being a fake monk!

The police are unable to do more, unless a law is being broken. In Canada a similar scam is running, where the fake monks peddle books & bracelets and aggressively go after people to buy the items.

This scam is everywhere now. Not sure if you can really tell if a person is a fake monk or not.

damn !! a lot of these crimes happen these days ...

cant believe this ..

Horoscopes are free all over the internet. You can even get an app. Why turn to a monk for something like this ?

It's good the public unearth this scumbag scamming people and I hope he receives divine punishment too.

the fake monk deserve to be arrested for doing things like that to the public. hope the monk learned his lessons for doing things like that.

Posted (edited)

There is always scepticism when someone is looking for a donation now a days and it is due to scams like thise of those preying on unknowing people. I always avoid entertaining a conversation when someone approaches me in an isle while I am shopping in a major retail chain and they looking all around  before talking to you. It shows they aren't supposed to be there soliciting. There is absolutely no proof that they are legit. I would never hand over money or waste my time, unless they are a known organization or someone I truly trust.

Edited by Sherry12