Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

Firefighters set light to children's Halloween costumes to shock parents over the hazards

5 posts in this topic

Source: Evening Standard

Images/Youtube: On.cc

 

1030-00405-001k1.jpg

 

 

1030-00405-001b1.jpg1030-00405-001b3.jpg

 

1030-00405-001b4.jpg1030-00405-001b2.jpg

 

Firefighters tested some of the costumes on sale, and found that outfits became engulfed in flames in just nine seconds, before melting away completely. Crews from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) set fire to a range of tiny Halloween costumes and posted the footage on YouTube to highlight the dangers of flammable fancy-dress outfits for children.

 

Strictly Come Dancing co-host Claudia Winkleman has rigorously campaigned to have testing standards of children's costumes amended after her daughter Matilda suffered severe burns when her costume caught alight last year.

 

The Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) has also backed the call, and has written to the Government to ask for stricter testing of the costumes, which are classed as toys and not subject to the same standards clothes are. Firefighters have warned parents to keep children away from naked flames, saying that the materials used in the costumes can melt onto the skin and cause serious burns.

 

Geoff Harris, the Assistant County Fire Officer and director of prevention and protection, said: "We want everyone to enjoy Halloween, but we also need to warn parents about the dangers of these costumes - they look great, but some of them are incredibly flammable.

 

"The material these costumes are made of melts when it burns and it will stick to the skin causing horrific injuries. "You can avoid disaster this Halloween by keeping your children away from naked flames and using battery powered tea lights instead of candles in your pumpkin lanterns. "If you must use candles consider putting them in a glass jar, so there's no chance of the flame catching a costume. "We would also recommend that you don't take your children to bonfires or firework displays when they are wearing these costumes. "If the worst should happen and clothes catches fire remember stop, drop and roll."

Edited by R.E.D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is so scary. They really should put more restriction for creating those clothing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your cloths burn it doesn't matter if they stick to you or not you're pretty much screwed. Where fire is involved, parents must be vigilant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that is a good way to promote fire safety. public need to aware of the fire hazards even though they are in the public area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is great firefighters did test on these halloween costumes. it just show how crappy and cheap these things are.  Prior to this reading, I had no idea that the material used can burn in just nine seconds. It just confirm my belief that there are a lot of unscrupulous businessmen who could not care less about safety. What they are worried is just their bottom line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0