Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

HK's mega-million movie stars

12 posts in this topic

Source: The Standard

5_2015080522420114587F2.jpg6_2015080522420114587F3.jpg

Three Hong Kong superstars have made it to Forbes' annual best-paid actors' list for the first time. Rush Hour star Jackie Chan Kong- sang ranked second only to Iron Man's Robert Downey Jnr after banking US$50 million (HK$390 million) last year. Chow Yun-fat, 60, is 24th on the list, while singer-actor Andy Lau Tak-wah, 53, also appears in 33rd position. Action-comedy star Chan, 61, appeared this year alongside Adrien Brody and John Cusack in Dragon Blade, which grossed US$120 million in China alone. He has two other movies slated for release, voicing as the monkey in Kung Fu Panda 3 and starring opposite Johnny Knoxville in an East-West co-production Skiptrace.

On top of big-screen earnings, Chan reportedly also made a fortune from his brand extensions, a Segway dealership and the Jackie Chan Yaolai International Cinema chain. "Now, I'm not only the actor, I invest," he told the American business magazine.

Forbes estimated that the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference member has amassed a net worth of US$350 million. But his team has declined to comment. Chow shares 24th with Australian star Russell Crowe after earning US$18 million. The Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon star was listed thanks to February's blockbuster From Vegas to Macau II, which has already been billed as China's highest grossing movie this year. But he humbly told local reporters: "I don't know how much I'm earning. My wife manages all my finances and leaves just a few hundred dollars in my wallet each day." His wife is Singaporean Jasmine Tan.

Lau, who also appeared in From Vegas to Macau II, also joined the list for the first time with US$13 million. All figures include management fees and taxes in this first global dollar tally of cinema's leading men.

Forbes measured earnings between last year and June 1 this year using data from Nielsen, Box Office Mojo and IMDB, on top of interviews with agents, managers, lawyers and some of the stars. The 34 best-paid actors - from seven countries - pocketed a combined US$941 million as the global film market continued to grow, especially in China, against a declining box office in the United States and Canada.

Downey Jnr, who recently reprised his role as Tony Stark in Avengers: Age of Ultron, trumped the list for the third year in a row - this time with US$80 million in paychecks. And his earnings are expected to continue to skyrocket with next year's Captain America: Civil War, for which he is reportedly commanding US$40 million. Action star Vin Diesel came third with US$47 million after his latest installment in the Fast and Furious franchise scored US$1.5 billion at the box office.

I am quite suprised with how well the trio of Chinese actors are doing. I guess a lot has to do with their appeal and audience in the asian market. I am also suprised to read that Vin Diesel is third in the list. Forbes lists Downey Jnr with $80m, Chan $50m, Vin Diesel $47m. The highest earning female actress was Angelina Jolie with $30m.

It's nice that Asian actors are getting recognized a bit more as equals to western actors because they are at least equally capable in acting and earning $$ like the western ones. I've always known Jackie Chan's a better actor then Vin Diesel :xrofl: Jackie who's at least 13-15 years older still looks better then Vin Diesel and he also still has all of his hair. :80:

Edited by Doraemon1971

In looking at the 3 actors, Jackie, Andy and Chow; give them credit. they've done different roles and have been making movies for some time. if it was about money, they could have retired years ago.

1 person likes this

like jackie chan said he not only an actor. good investment is what important in the long run.

It's great to see that Chinese actors are getting more recognition in the west these days.

1 person likes this

I have no ida chow yun fat is still banking this much from films.

I won't be surprised Chinese actors and actresses make it to forbes top lists as are the growing numbers of chinese billionaires.

1 person likes this

It's great to see that Chinese actors are getting more recognition in the west these days.

I agree ... finally Chinese movie stars are receiving some much deserved attention and recognition in western media nowadays.

2 people like this

I agree ... finally Chinese movie stars are receiving some much deserved attention and recognition in western media nowadays.

They may make fun of anything made in china but when it comes to chinese movies & actors/actresses ( i am now referring to HK & China as one to keep it easy ),

they can't keep ignoring Made in China anymore

2 people like this

that is normal for the famous stars who make a lot of money where they are well known by the public and they perform well in the acting.

1 person likes this

On 8/26/2015 at 4:00 PM, doraemon1971 said:

They may make fun of anything made in china but when it comes to chinese movies & actors/actresses ( i am now referring to HK & China as one to keep it easy ),

they can't keep ignoring Made in China anymore

Exactly!