Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

Cabin smoke forces Cathay flight diversion

8 posts in this topic

Source: RTHK English news

mfile_56_1120074_1.jpg

A Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Los Angeles with nearly 300 people on board diverted to a remote US military airport in Alaska's Aleutian Islands on Wednesday due to smoke in the aircraft, airline officials said. All 276 passengers and 18 crew members aboard flight CX884, a Boeing Co 777-300ER, are safe, airline representative Tracey Kwong said.

US Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said the emergency landing went without incident before dawn at Eareckson Air Station in Shemya, Alaska. Remote and often frigid, Shemya is one of the westernmost islands in the Aleutians, more than 1,400 miles (2,300 km) from Alaska's largest city, Anchorage.

The aircraft was inspected and deemed safe to fly again, and the passengers were taken to Anchorage, a Cathay Pacific spokeswoman said. Cathay Pacific dispatched another aircraft from Hong Kong to pick up the passengers in Anchorage and fly them to Los Angeles, airline officials said. A representative for Boeing declined to comment, referring questions on the incident to the airline.

Another near disaster avoided just in time. I wonder what caused the smoke to occur. An electrical fire perhaps or a naughty passenger lighting a smoke in a toilet.

Time will tell

First it was Malaysian Airlines with the MH37 dissapearing and the other one being shot down above the Ukraine and now they start having incidents with Cathay Pacific.

If i were suspicious minded i' say someone's going after Asian airlines.

Edited by Doraemon1971

Cathay Pacific seems to be up in disaster with all these negative news. A good thing is that no one got hurt.

Passengers are safe and sound, but I guess airlines are under more scrutiny now a days. everything gets media attention.

good thing everyone was safe! great job to cx for dispatching an aircraft quickly to rescue the stranded passengers

cathay has been having problems with their planes recently, hope they fix these problems.

that is not good. luckily they are able to land the plane safety to the ground. the maintenance crew should investigate this incident and find out the cause of the smoke.

I must say the pilot did a great job of landing the plane safely.  It must have been scary ride for the passengers. Good thing all of them are safe, thanks to the pilot