Followers 0
sh33pymd

Maxim’s fined HK$8,000 after dead cockroach found in food

6 posts in this topic

Source: ejinsight

Image: The Sun

Youtube: Appledaily

0721-00412-002b1.jpg

Maxim’s Group has been fined HK$8,000 (US$1,032.11) after a cockroach was found in a plate of Sichuan-style shrimp balls served by its Jade Garden Chinese restaurant in Star House, Tsim Sha Tsui. The company pleaded guilty to a charge of serving food that contains substance inconsistent with buyer’s expectation, Apple Daily reported Tuesday.

The case stemmed from an incident on July 27, 2014, when a woman found a dead cockroach served along with the shrimp balls she ordered at the restaurant. She filed a complaint to the restaurant management and the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department.

Maxim’s lawyer asked for leniency from the judge, saying it was first time that such a case happened since the company opened 44 years ago. The company said it has also strengthened sanitation management. The judge said Maxim’s is a large company that should be more capable than its smaller competitors in dealing with hygiene issues, adding that it was not the first time the group was accused of such violations. Maxim’s expressed deep regrets over what happened and promised to improve sanitation and hygiene in its operations.

Edited by R.E.D

lucky they didn't increase the price after the discovery of the cockroach :loool: seriously i'd go nuts too when my food starts to move on its own

Thought i read on Coconut or another news site that Maxims was fined for the same food hygiëne thing twice in under 2 weeks so i don't think it's such a good place to go & eat anything at all.

Edited by Doraemon1971

That's great they got fined but personally, once I hear a restaurant is in the news for lack of hygiene then I would have blacklisted the place forever. There's so many other places to eat anyway.

Again! It is obviously clear that this is not the first time Maxim's is accused of such hygiene violations. Seriously, the company needs to improve sanitation and hygiene in its food preparations.

Maxim are notorious for poor food hygiene yet I love their genki sushi chain. Certainly a lot needs improving.

that is pretty disgusting. the company should make sure the hygiene of the restaurant is good. they deserve to be fined.