Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chloe.C

Louis Koo and Raymond Lam may film movie version of "A Step into the Past"; Estimated to start next year

407 posts in this topic

Source: Apple Daily

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

2vvrt6t.jpg2uqchv5.jpg

w80uhu.jpg2cdvl1k.jpg

Louis Koo and Raymond Lam may film movie version of "A Step into the Past"; Estimated to start next year

In 2001, TVB released the drama "A Step Into the Past", which was adapted from the novel of the same name, written by Huang Yi. The drama was well-received all around Hong Kong, Mainland China and Taiwan, and because of this, the popularity of Louis Koo and Raymond Lam grew rapidly. 14 years later, recently, Mainland video platform website, Youku expressed their intentions to film a web version of the drama and planned to have William Chan play Louis Koo's character, Hong Siu Long. However, because the drama involves time-travel, which is now a theme banned in Mainland China, the drama cannot be broadcasted on TV. Movies, on the other hand, do not have any restrictions; Louis has already planned to invite the original cast, such as Raymond Lam, to film a movie version of the drama with a 100 million dollar budget.

According to sources, Louis has already wanted to film a movie version of the popular drama, and even thought of inviting Johnnie To to direct; however because Louis hadn't been satisfied with the screenplay, so the film was left with an indefinite starting date. Until recently, the screenplay had been changed to a more satisfying version, so Louis has decided the movie will start filming next year. Unfortunately, because Johnnie To cannot fit it into his schedule, another director will have to be chosen.

101 million investment

Apparently, in preparation to film the movie version of "A Step Into the Past", Louis had already started preparing and discussing the novel's copyright a few years ago. But because there were problems with capital and dissatisfaction with the script, the plan for the movie was on hold. However, after Louis established his "One Cool Film" company last year, he received overseas funding support. So with the money now, he started to prepare for the project again and even began approaching other cast members. Raymond Lam's management company, EEG, has already received Louis Koo's invitation, hoping to invite Raymond Lam to play the role of Ying Ching. Other artists of the original cast, Jessica Hsuan, Sonija Kwok, Joyce Tang and Kong Wah also hope to have the opportunity to be used by the investors.

The budget of the film production is approximated to be around 80 million RMB, with another 30 million of marketing and promotions; total budget as high as 101 million! Once they find a suitable director, the movie will likely begin filming in Inner Mongolia next year. yesterday, reporters confirmed the news with Raymond Lam's manager, Mani Fok, she replied on the phone: "We did receive Louis' invitation, haven't officially confirmed the filming yet." Louis Koo, who is currently filming for Johnnie To's new movie "Three on the Road" in Guangzhou, was not willing to reveal too much. He said: "In principle, if we really do film a movie version, I would play the role of Hong Siu Long. Can't talk about anything else for now!"

Webdramas penetrating the market in recent years

The State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television (SARFT) in Mainland China has put a ban on broadcasting time travel theme dramas on TV; therefore many production companies have already given up on filming a Mainland China version of "A Step into the Past". However, in recent years, in order to increase their web hits, many Mainland websites have produced webdramas. The restrictions on webdramas are less than television dramas, so Youku has planned to have the production team of "Sword of Legends" to produce the webdrama version of "A Step into the Past". They intend to have William Chan play Hong Siu Long, and Melvin Wong and Angie Chiu's son, Wesley Wong, play Ying Ching. However, webdramas still have to be sent to get screened by the SARFT, so if the SARFT feels there is a problem with the content, they can still restrict the drama from being released.

Actually, a lot of risks comes with investing in webdramas. For example, last year, iQiyi invested and filmed the webdrama "The Lost Tomb", which is adapted from the novel of the same name. The first season filmed 12 episodes, with approximately 5 million RMB invested in each episode; total budget of 60 million RMB. However, the drama revolved around stealing a tomb, which is a banned theme in Mainland China. They were unable to get approved even after sending it to get screened multiple times. As a result, they had to alter the content and refilm, changing the story from stealing tombs and treasures to protecting a cultural artifact. In the end, they finally got approved to have the drama broadcast next month; however as the story has completely changed, it is hard to say whether the audience will accept it or not.

Great to hear that, I definitely will watch it if it goes real...

I hope this is true and that Louis and Raymond will come back and reprise their role!!! It was so good and such a classic series.

what wrong for the series for louis koo and raymond lam

and jessica huang

2005 step in to the past series for 10 years

That would be very exciting to see a movie version of this film. Can't wait!

OMG I hope this is true and it'll go through. I can't wait to watch this. I love love loved the series

that's awesome, I enjoyed the show quite a bit back then. Hope they don't screw up the script...pleaseeeeee

Nice nice nice!!! I always like time traveling movies/tv series.

this would be so amazing! I loved this drama so much

louis koo maybe a big star but im not sure if he is able to get all the original cast together. do we really need a movie version?

If it's tru, it'll be awesome specially bringing back all the actors and actresses in the original series. Hopefully the person who is doing the screenplay will not defer from the story because of mainland bans...either way I can't wait

After so many years, they're deciding on a movie? Maybe it's going to be a great one. But of course the original cast has to be in it.

Every good series is being planned for a movie version by tvb now - best way to make money from movies, instead of from tv

excited to see louis and raymond collaborate again... the most important filming this movie is original casts especially louis and raymond

I really hope they use the old cast. Can't wait for this to come out. The series was really good.

I love the original series version. It would be great to see so much great actors reunite in the sequel.

wow really? isnt this like a decade late. lol they don't even look the same anymore haha

i hope a movie version does come out. but wonder how it will work.

Are they going to have a similar plot but compressed together.

looking forward to watch this really awesome movie with raymond and louis koo in this movie

Looking forward to this movie, as long as it's well-planned. TV series are often less restrictive in time and content compared to a 2-hour movie.

This series brings back a lot of memories. Basically the first of its genre with time traveling as the theme.

So many ban things, is it worth all the trouble?? In this society there are a mix of good and bad things, thus is a balance.