Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chloe.C

Patrick Tang resigns from role due to love triangle storyline with ex-girlfriend Katy Kung; Penalized to have contract extended by 3 months

115 posts in this topic

Source: Apple Daily

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

j9vd5w.jpg

sbmycg.jpg

2elqhbp.jpg

Patrick Tang resigns from role due to love triangle storyline with ex-girlfriend Katy Kung; Penalized to have contract extended by 3 months

Although Patrick Tang and Katy Kung have broken up for 3 years, recently in order to create buzz, TVB wrote a love triangle storyline for the two actors in new drama "Trendy Leader". According to sources, Patrick Tang is preparing to get married soon. Because he doesn't want this previous relationship to be put on the table and create disturbances for his fiancee, Sukie Shek, in addition he also needs to go through surgery because of kidney strones, he resigned from his role in the drama. Because of his rejection of the role, TVB gave him a penalty of extending his contract by 3 months. Regarding this, Patrick Tang admitted: "Yes, there is such situation." According to sources, because Patrick feels his TV career development hasn't been going very well, he has decided that he will not renew his contract with TVB at the end of the year when it expires.

Ever since his "mentor" Stephen Chan left TVB in 2012, 40 year old Patrick Tang had been given small roles. Thankfully, his love life has been quite smooth. Last year, he met Sukie Shek in the play they cooperated in "Hollywood in Big Hotel (大酒店有個荷李活)" and now they have planned to get married this year.

However, luck hasn't been going his way recently. Other than needing to go under surgery because of kidney stones, according to sources, in order to create buzz, in TVB's upcoming drama "Trendy Leader", starring Moses Chan and Sisley Choi, the producer arranged a love triangle storyline for ex-lovers Patrick Tang and Katy Kung, who broke up 3 years ago. Katy Kung would be the third party of the love triangle. Because of his health and because he is getting married to his girlfriend soon, he did not want his past relationship to be put on the table; therefore he decided to resign from the role. As a result, TVB gave him a penalty for exiting the drama, extending his contract by 3 months. His contract was to end at the end of this year.

According to a source: "Patrick and Sukie are planning to get married this year, so he doesn't want his past relationships to be used to create news and buzz. Although Patrick and Katy are still friends after breaking up, but he doesn't want such news to cause Sukie to be unhappy. Plus, his case of kidney stones has recurred, so his health condition isn't that good. Therefore, he decided to resign from the role. Who knew that TVB would say that he is rejecting the drama, and made him extend his contract for 3 months. Actually, according to law, Patrick doesn't have to accept such unreasonable requests. Everyone can see how "important" TVB really sees him in the past few years. The company doesn't even have any reason to extend his contract. Actually Patrick has found a lot of achievement in plays in the past two years, so he's decided that he will not renew his contract at the end of the year. But he really does thank the company for having given him opportunities in the past, so if the company insists on extending his contract for 3 months, then he will agree."

Girlfriend Sukie Shek praises him for being "man"

Regarding having been asked to extend his contract because he refused to play the role in having a love triangle with Katy Kung, Patrick responded through telephone the day before: "Not convenient to say so much, but such situation has happened. But to me, just go with the flow." Asked if he just had a kidney stone surgery? He said: "Thank you for your concern. I'm Ok. I can't say too much, sorry."

Sukie Shek also admitted she has heard about the issue with her boyfriend and TVB, she responded through phone: "I heard about it. Not convenient for me to comment on this matter. Every company has their own process. Whatever Patrick does, I will support fully. He has a lot of talent in acting." About Patrick Tang not wanting her to get disturbed so he rejected to cooperate with Katy Kung, Sukie replied sweetly: "Very man." As for Katy Kung, when she was asked about TVB arranging a love triangle storyline with Patrick Tang, she replied: "I am not that sure about this. But if we have to cooperate, I wouldn't mind."

i find it a bit slack or selfish for TVB to do that before someones marriage...?

hope hes surgery is ok too :)

that is extremely poor form on behalf of TVB to use someone's real life situation and turn it into entertainment.

if it is true, it is really shady for TVB to do this to Patrick

especially he has not really been in dramas that much anyways, they do not need him yet they force this on him..

how much "buzz" would it have created. do people care about either of these people? the fact that is career is not going well is because there is no "buzz" about him

he is a good guy and it shows that he cares alot about the relationship

I really think its a bit shady...No point doing this together

That's not very nice of TVB. He has surgery to go through, that should be a good enough reason to opt out of a series without having a penalty.

His variety shows were good. I guess acting will always be #1 for him. Honestly I think it is a fair trade off for resign the role since they have to recast the role now and probably rewrite line to fit the person. Three months is not going to kill him, probably better than paying money since he has the wedding and surgery soon.

If this is true, tvb is really starting to lose more and more of my respect. HKTV looking better and better each day.

TVB is pretty shady to do that... Anyways congrats to Patrick and Sukie!!!

Hope Patrick's surgery goes well and congrats to him and Sukie! Patrick has potential, why is TVB doing this to him....

Patrick is a good actor especially his variety show. Sad to see him "setup" by TVB for entertainment purpose. TVB is getting more political and shady now. I am sure he will have a better achievement somewhere else.

That's not "man;" if he was "man," he'd be a professional and take on the role!

not nice to put people personal live into their benefit. Good for Patrick to standing up to tvb

Good for Patrick. It's very rare to see celebrities put their personal lives and loved ones before their career.

good on him for standing up for himself. if they want to extend his contract then let them because he will still get paid

Congratulations to Patrick and Sukie and hope his surgery goes well.

LOL getting punished by extending contract by 3 months, that's so lame hahahaha

typically move by TVB to exploit their actor's relationship issues. kinda funny tho.

well good thing its only 3 months and not 3 years... but hopefully surgery goes well... :)