Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chloe.C

TVB's version of "The Empress of China" will not be "big-headed dolls"; Hides cleavage by adding fabric to costumes

274 posts in this topic

Source: MingPao / 163 Ent

Photo Credits: Ming Pao / on.cc / Wtoutiao & as labeled on photos

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

2w5j4sn.jpg10n52dv.jpg

2cnf2oj.jpg

33kyvxi.png

903cy0.jpg

119ccbb.jpg

TVB's version of "The Empress of China" will not be "big-headed dolls"; Hides cleavage by adding fabric to costumes

Earlier, when "The Empress of China" was broadcasted in Mainland China, because the cleavage of the actresses were seen as too sexy, they were forced to edit the scenes so that cleavage wouldn't be shown. As a result, many scenes were zoomed in to show only their heads and a lot of the background and costumes could not be seen. As TVB will be broadcasting the drama this week, in order to keep the quality of the production, they spent extra money to hire a professional team to add fabric in front of the actresses' chests, instead of cutting the scenes. The colour and pattern of the clothes are carefully managed, so that the audience cannot tell it is done by the computer. This way, the audience can still see the beautiful scenery and costumes that the audience longed to see in the drama. TVB has also re-edited the drama as a 70 episode production (compared to the 96 episodes in China).

Regarding this "added fabric" version, Kathy Chow, who plays Consort Yang in the drama, commented saying she does not think it's unfortunate that the actresses' "good bodies" are being censored. She laughed: "The most important is that the story can be displayed as it was made. I felt that the "big-headed dolls" version was more unfortunate. Everything was zoomed in, so no one could see the surroundings and environment. " Therefore, she feels this method is just like pulling up the clothes, much better than "big heads".

"The Empress of China" will be airing on Sunday April 26th at 9:30pm. The drama will air everyday.

WOW! Cutting from 96 to 70 episodes is too much and/or missing from the originals.......if they can air all those cleavages in China then why not in H.K?

Well, adding fabric to the costumes is a much better idea than zooming in on the faces. That way the scenery won't be edited out.

Adding the fabric is better and great idea better than cut the scene, I am waiting to watch this series...

I have to say it doesn't look that bad at all. Was expecting worse

wow...was it really necessary to hide the cleavage? should have been left the way it was filmed.

i just saw the first episode and these so call cgi coverings look just like censor bars that moves, looks very unnatural

Overall the additions don't look too bad. At least this way, story and dialog won't be affected as much as the China version where everything is chopped.

its pretty lame to cover up the cleavage, this is 2015.....the ancient times were more open than now?

TVB should have used the original footage

hahahaa.. no choice , as this is drama aired before 10 pm in HK,

if not , TVB might get 1000000 complaints every day

Stupid TVB , should have just aired the original footage. This is 2015...... It's not even nudity....

Looks like the TANG dynasty was more open than China is in 2015?

The CG looks good also. Couldn't really tell is an added fabric. But it has 70 episodes?! omg! so long...

love all the outfit in this series, all girls looks very pretty!

I don't understand how a little bit of cleavage this day and age can create so much headlines. Western dramas and movies shows even more cleavage than the asian drama

i had no idea china was so strict on cleavage lol but i guess its better than saying they only used that to get views right?

Wonder how the professionals did on the final version as TVB's CGI are usually terrible. Not sure what the big problem is with cleavage showing a bit more, TVB could use that to gain more views with their decline in ratings in every series. Perhaps CGI is better than zoomed in on their heads. Also, I don't get why TVB is willing to cut a 26 episodes from the original 96 episodes. Focusing on the costumes with censorship more than storyline it seems.

Edited by darealtidus

that's gonna be much better. maybe i should start watching it. and chek it out.

It was too much cleavage for an ancient drama. Cant wait to see it though.

is better this way otherwise there will be a lot of complaints regarding the series

looks good... better than zooming into everything..

i wonder if they would of gotten more or less viewers with the unedited version.

I would prefer the cover up vs the close ups. The fabric they used looks fine.