Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chloe.C

TVB's version of "The Empress of China" will not be "big-headed dolls"; Hides cleavage by adding fabric to costumes

274 posts in this topic

Source: MingPao / 163 Ent

Photo Credits: Ming Pao / on.cc / Wtoutiao & as labeled on photos

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

2w5j4sn.jpg10n52dv.jpg

2cnf2oj.jpg

33kyvxi.png

903cy0.jpg

119ccbb.jpg

TVB's version of "The Empress of China" will not be "big-headed dolls"; Hides cleavage by adding fabric to costumes

Earlier, when "The Empress of China" was broadcasted in Mainland China, because the cleavage of the actresses were seen as too sexy, they were forced to edit the scenes so that cleavage wouldn't be shown. As a result, many scenes were zoomed in to show only their heads and a lot of the background and costumes could not be seen. As TVB will be broadcasting the drama this week, in order to keep the quality of the production, they spent extra money to hire a professional team to add fabric in front of the actresses' chests, instead of cutting the scenes. The colour and pattern of the clothes are carefully managed, so that the audience cannot tell it is done by the computer. This way, the audience can still see the beautiful scenery and costumes that the audience longed to see in the drama. TVB has also re-edited the drama as a 70 episode production (compared to the 96 episodes in China).

Regarding this "added fabric" version, Kathy Chow, who plays Consort Yang in the drama, commented saying she does not think it's unfortunate that the actresses' "good bodies" are being censored. She laughed: "The most important is that the story can be displayed as it was made. I felt that the "big-headed dolls" version was more unfortunate. Everything was zoomed in, so no one could see the surroundings and environment. " Therefore, she feels this method is just like pulling up the clothes, much better than "big heads".

"The Empress of China" will be airing on Sunday April 26th at 9:30pm. The drama will air everyday.

There is always a give or take situation. Since they want to show it to the world they had to do something

That's very funny, on the picture it looks ok, not perfect but still more than average. Anyone can photoshop a picture if they spend the time to do it well but we're talking about of video and moving actress.

If they're doing it image per image, that's around 30 images per second, several minutes per episode and 70 episodes total, it could looks perfect and hat's off to the person who did it. If not we"ll see on TV some CG fabric floating around trying to adjust the censored area, just try yourself and put your cursor on anything you want to hide while the movie is playing, even in slow motion its hard and inaccurate.

Edited by sups

So pointless to please the conservative audience. What's wrong with seeing a little cleavage?

looks very natural to me. probably won't be that obvious once you are into the story

it still is a form of censorship, albeit a little more subtle. Which now begs the question. when the series is available on DVD, will there be an edit version and an original version? food for thought.

Maybe easier to just blur the cleavage lines. But I want a copy of the uncut version. This series is very good and shouldn't be edited at all. I wonder what parts would be taken out to bring it down to 70 eps

im excited for this drama! sounds like it would be hit! i just hope that the script is as good as the cast

I have watched the big-headed version on youtube and looking at TVB shots, I definitely prefer TVB's more subtle version of omitting the cleavage. However, I think the plot is really draggy and unoriginal. I won't watch it again.

It will be interesting to see if the show will be edited out as good as the stills. If it is it's not too bad, definitely better than the zoomed in version

will be interested in seeing their re-editing and new cuts in comparison to the mainland version

Well its good that TVB is willing to spend extra money to solve the issue. Though its more of the beginning part of the show where theres more cleavage.

Wow such controversy over this. I think the extra fabric is a great idea to solve this

I agree with Kathy Chow's comments about sacrificing beauty and looks and placing importance on the story. I am looking forward to this drama since Kathy is in it, aside Fan Bingbing.

i think keeping the original film without editing will be much better because the director of this filming wants to show us that in the old days that is how the people were dresses in the places. Well we will have to see how the film will be like after it been edited.

This would be a much better fix than the zoom in version for sure. much nicer looking overall

i think the editing is a good choice, since this drama might have

many children watching it

Why did TVB cover the cleavages, is fun to watch especially when Ancient China drama. I mean they censor because scare of complaints or kid babies seeing boobs?

having fabric or no fabric is better than having close up that you can't see their whole outfit and background

lol, what a technology, but I still prefer to watch ori version, coz HK doesn't like it what for they want to broadcast it

TVB made the right decision and it still looks good with the extra fabric. Its better than zoom in.

probably wont notice as much when they are moving pictures instead of stills. great decision by tvb and re-editing it down to a 7 weeks show instead of 11 weeks.