Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chloe.C

TVB's version of "The Empress of China" will not be "big-headed dolls"; Hides cleavage by adding fabric to costumes

274 posts in this topic

Source: MingPao / 163 Ent

Photo Credits: Ming Pao / on.cc / Wtoutiao & as labeled on photos

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

2w5j4sn.jpg10n52dv.jpg

2cnf2oj.jpg

33kyvxi.png

903cy0.jpg

119ccbb.jpg

TVB's version of "The Empress of China" will not be "big-headed dolls"; Hides cleavage by adding fabric to costumes

Earlier, when "The Empress of China" was broadcasted in Mainland China, because the cleavage of the actresses were seen as too sexy, they were forced to edit the scenes so that cleavage wouldn't be shown. As a result, many scenes were zoomed in to show only their heads and a lot of the background and costumes could not be seen. As TVB will be broadcasting the drama this week, in order to keep the quality of the production, they spent extra money to hire a professional team to add fabric in front of the actresses' chests, instead of cutting the scenes. The colour and pattern of the clothes are carefully managed, so that the audience cannot tell it is done by the computer. This way, the audience can still see the beautiful scenery and costumes that the audience longed to see in the drama. TVB has also re-edited the drama as a 70 episode production (compared to the 96 episodes in China).

Regarding this "added fabric" version, Kathy Chow, who plays Consort Yang in the drama, commented saying she does not think it's unfortunate that the actresses' "good bodies" are being censored. She laughed: "The most important is that the story can be displayed as it was made. I felt that the "big-headed dolls" version was more unfortunate. Everything was zoomed in, so no one could see the surroundings and environment. " Therefore, she feels this method is just like pulling up the clothes, much better than "big heads".

"The Empress of China" will be airing on Sunday April 26th at 9:30pm. The drama will air everyday.

still looks good with the extra fabric. So i think this better than zoom in.

Although I'm sure some people won't be happy not being able to see the cleavage, but this is definitely a much better method to solve the cleavage "problem" than zooming in and making everything look ugly. -__- Cutting the scenes to big-headed dolls was simply the lazy way. At least TVB wasn't lazy and didn't ruin the artistic side of it. And I have to say, at least it looks pretty natural!

Decent workaround so at least we can finally watch this. Hope they're more careful of costumes in the future as I don't want to see any more CG fabric.

the cloth looks natural, a lot better than zooming in. but i still think they should kept the cleavage, it should be left how the director intends it to be.

I wonder what the storyline will be like. Hope to watch it and see if it is interesting....

the cgi fabric looks good on picture but lets see how it turns out on video

guess that one way to work around it by adding the fabric, instead of zooming in on the head(LOL)

I don't really care what they do for the TV version, just hope the DVDs won't be edited.

I think the added fabric looks fine, it's way better than watching the big head dolls version!

rather watch the original one, even though fabric looks fine too

the additional cgi is a lot better than zooming in and losing a lot of the scenery, more to appreciate -- effort of the designers, the clothes and scenery

They should know that the TV will not show all that skin so I wonder why they still used that kind of clothing. Its just wasting more money to do cover up. Guess its better than cutting things out.

interesting to see how different china and hk are even tho they are so close together

TVB playing safe as usual, would love to see them breaking out of the norm though!

is this even necessary? it's a period piece and it was probably like that back then. this kinda ruins the atmosphere but still than what the mainland did.

ahhaahahh thats hilarious. very strange that its a mainland production that would have so much cleavage though. you would think that they would take care to hide it because mainland is usually so conservative

wow, looks good with the extra fabric and this better than zooming in, more natural.

what's the big deal. tvb already filming more intimate scene. why worry about cleavage.

this is really great idea as compared to the other.I'm sure more will get to see the nice scenery in the series.

Well ok. that look perfect. Good CGI fabric. looks very natural.