Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

G.E.M. booed for speaking Mandarin at Las Vegas concert

182 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts Hong Kong

gem_tang_singing_0.jpg

Hong Kong pop star G.E.M. performed at the Venetian in Las Vegas on Saturday night. According to Apple Daily, concertgoers report that G.E.M. was heckled by audience members for speaking mostly in Mandarin throughout the show. "You are a Hongkonger!" they reportedly shouted. Some attendees also claimed that she was singing off-key.

On Sunday G.E.M. posted a message on her Facebook page saying she’ll “never give up” no matter how difficult the road ahead becomes. The Shanghai-born Hong Kong singer, currently on her second world tour, has been very popular since her 2008 debut EP.

as far as i know mandarin is the official language of china , thus at an International event it would make sense to speak it, then give fan service in speaking some Cantonese at the end. Anything is is just emotion and an inferiority complex on the part of hong kong

from my experience for other artists that come to vegas, they've speak both languages to cover both mando and canto... and maybe the occassional english too for the random non-asian people in the audience. maybe GEM hasnt had much experience in performing internationally. I dont like to say which dialect is better canto or mando or what not (even tho i speak canto but i can understand mando), its better to cover your bases then to assume one.

ive been to many concerts here and most if not all artists jump back n forth on languages. its ok. i still thoroughly enjoyed the concert even while being weakened from food poisoning night before

How come they audience booed her for speaking mandarin? Maybe she should have spoken both languages

Alrite, next time just speak English...the universal langauge hahahaha

gem is always on the wrong side with the media and audiences .

like what alan tam used to say, gem needs to reflect on herself

i say shes still young and inexperienced. hopefully she'll hear about this and improve. she has lots of potential

wow why are they so harsh.. at least they get to see her perform in america. these artists rarely come over here

you know how people gotta have something to say about everything. i loved the concert :D i was so sad when her concert a few years ago canceled at orleans

let the haters go. no matter where you go, there is haters. just ignore them.

at a las vegas- one would assume that you would speak english to the crowd- but if the crowd is mostly cantonese- then she should have done her research and also speak her mother tongue rather than show off

Well, if she's born in Shanghai, her mother tongue most probably is Shanghainese and not Cantonese. I wonder what other HK singer speak in when in Vegas. I guessthe Vegas crowd also don't like her leaning more towards the China market after 'I'm a Singer'.

does that really matter? she's a hong kong singer but was born in china...

she should just be herself and just act the way she was coming to show biz.

different country should speak in different language

you have to learn to please the fans based on the market....

yes she started from HK...but reality is there is a bigger market in China. Look at it this way, HK ppl are so great that they understand both canto and mandarin while others can only understand mandari. Can't please everyone. Give the girl a break.

yes she started from HK...but reality is there is a bigger market in China. Look at it this way, HK ppl are so great that they understand both canto and mandarin while others can only understand mandari. Can't please everyone. Give the girl a break.

Is there so big chinease comunity in Vegas that she held the concert? Maybe it will be better if she is in San Francisco.

I think the news about GEM has been blown out of proportion. why are the recent reports about GEM so negative?

This is so strange to hear about. I would understand this coming from people if she had a concert in HK, but this is Las Vegas? Isn't her demographic much younger, its strange that they would care so much.

most artists will speak canto (hk artists) with occassional mando here and there. most just speak both and explain things 2x in different languages...

las vegas has a decent sized community but a lot come from LA too

I was attended her concert. really good her performance, the ticket is worth it, haha. Keep singing and be singer, I will always support you forever,

Why does it matter.. if you don't like the artist.. don't buy a ticket to their concert ...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0