Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

G.E.M. booed for speaking Mandarin at Las Vegas concert

182 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts Hong Kong

gem_tang_singing_0.jpg

Hong Kong pop star G.E.M. performed at the Venetian in Las Vegas on Saturday night. According to Apple Daily, concertgoers report that G.E.M. was heckled by audience members for speaking mostly in Mandarin throughout the show. "You are a Hongkonger!" they reportedly shouted. Some attendees also claimed that she was singing off-key.

On Sunday G.E.M. posted a message on her Facebook page saying she’ll “never give up” no matter how difficult the road ahead becomes. The Shanghai-born Hong Kong singer, currently on her second world tour, has been very popular since her 2008 debut EP.

she is picking up language and needs time to learn all of them.her songs are great which is an advantage

if she was born in Shanghai, its funny people are claiming her as Hongkonger... anyway, both mandarin and cantonese are Chinese..

who cares which language... as long as it's a good song... :D

:P

Maybe some songs better off sung in Mandarin then Cantonese. Even with all that going on GEM can't please everyone. Someone will always try to heckle you. Stay positive GEM!

well to be honest, she only shot up in popularity after going mainland and performing/appearing on tv...can you blame her for speaking mandarin?

Seriously, people? Girl's got talent. show some support

It is stupid for her to be speaking mandarin in a concert anywhere in the world other than China. You don't see Joey Yung or Jacky Cheung speaking mandarin when holding concerts in english speaking countries.

I think this article is twisted but I think after she has been on I am Singer she has definitely changed

Hk media seems to really not like gem. While i don't doubt that gem may have changed after the competition, i feel like the hk media is out to ruin gems image

That's ridiculous. Should she have to cater to a particular subset of fans wherever she goes? What does it even matter?

She spoke Mandarin because most of the Chinese Population speaks Mandarin.. She's chinese... performing in a foreign country... majority wins.. Go G.E.M

hmm just saying an unbiased view, but most people speak mando c/f canto so I'm guessing she was trying to accommodate for that. But if this is the case, like she said it's a good learning experience for her and I hope her fans are happy with what she does in the future =]

i dont even know what to think of this news, but it seems she is more for the mainland audience rather than Hong Kong now. Then again, it didnt seem like HK appreciated her when she was a presence there; one of the few that can sing and they didnt even give her muh props

ahhhhhh she is holding concert in us as usual, other countires are not in.....I beleive her performance is good through

I can only say it will not be in the news if she speaks at least 3 languages, i.e. English, Cantonese & Mandarin.

i cannot wait to see her performance when she is here on the east coast. she should speak both cantonese and mandarin. oh well, just enjoy her songs.

Doing what fans want isn't something you should do. What is a fan? In my opinion, it's someone who likes the way someone does something. If you start booing and criticizing, then you're not much of a fan anymore.

would've thought she'd feel more comfortable speaking in cantonese

i went to the concert. it was more catered to the I am a Singer crowd who knew her that way. yeah she did speak mando and sang majority mando in the beginnin for maybe 1/2 concert but when someone shouted for her to speak canto, it pretty much went entirely canto. i still fully enjoyed her concert and wished she was at a different venue. i am happy i finally got to see her live :D

when someone shouted to tell her to speak canto, she explained how on her tours, she doesnt know what the majority of the people their prefer... can go many ways... more people speak mando than canto.. shes canto/hk origin.. she recently got popular on a mando/china show.. etc etc theres no wins =X

Edited by iandroo888

depending on where she is singing, she should definitely sing the language most spoken there.

if u were to go to vegas, would u assume canto or mando? lol

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0