Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

G.E.M. booed for speaking Mandarin at Las Vegas concert

182 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts Hong Kong

gem_tang_singing_0.jpg

Hong Kong pop star G.E.M. performed at the Venetian in Las Vegas on Saturday night. According to Apple Daily, concertgoers report that G.E.M. was heckled by audience members for speaking mostly in Mandarin throughout the show. "You are a Hongkonger!" they reportedly shouted. Some attendees also claimed that she was singing off-key.

On Sunday G.E.M. posted a message on her Facebook page saying she’ll “never give up” no matter how difficult the road ahead becomes. The Shanghai-born Hong Kong singer, currently on her second world tour, has been very popular since her 2008 debut EP.

I like her voice and singing and I don't mind she speaks mandarin or cantonese.

Mandarin or Cantonese is no issue. All depends on your public, but nowadays Mandarin is so important. You know the big market....

I get why people would want her to speak cantonese, i would too but I don't think its necessary or right to harass her about it. I mean, as long as you understand right?

I get where the audience is coming from but especially if you can't understand Mandarin. I wonder if she sang much her Cantonese songs at the concert...

Sounds as if it is a storm in a tea cup and possiblt the media trying to create a story. True fans probably enjoyed the concert. There was certainly enough true fans who have come out in support of her and have said that there were no booing. I dont think that fans can expect what language the singer speaks in just as they cannot expect which of their songs they sing. So many English bands have had world tours and would you expect them to speak in German, French, Chinese or Japanese?

Credit to her that she did take on board what some fans were requesting as she spoke more in Cantonese. It is also hard for her know how many of her fans understand one particular language so how can she cater for all of them. What if teh mandarin speakers started shoutin "speak mandarin" or english speakers shouted "speak english" - it kind of gets out of hand. Better to let the singer perform as they have practiced.

i am feeling bad for those people who went to the concert, do you know how expensive is the concert tickets? and she's there singing off key and speaking in a language that they dont understand

Chinese = Mandarin = Cantonese = Shanghainese... Why so racist and cynical? Just let her go... She is trying to be universal and stick to an official language. If you don't like her speaking Mandarin then don't go to her concert!

i support GEM and thinks the media is picking on her. I am a Cantonese speaker but understand mandarin from watching tv shows...ppl need to stop complaining and just enjoy the music.

GEM i am disappointed in you. I do not understand Mandarin. LOL but i should blame myself for that.

You should definitely speak in the language your fans are more comfortable with

This is stupid. GEM is a China-Born, Hong Kong citizen who's based in Hong Kong, not China. Her first language is mandarin - the fans shouldn't be so out of order. GEM should have known better for speaking mandarin at the "I AM A HONG KONGER" Event but I'll forgive her, she made an innocent mistake and one which is completely harmless.

chinese people are supposed to speak manadarin. That's the countries official language, not cantonese

Stop trying to be someone who you're not. So typical. I thought you were better than this.

She really has a lot of negative news lately! We just like her singing, who cares what language she Speaks?

It's so dumb. Mandarin is more popular than Cantonese so it makes sense that she would try to speak more Mandarin in Las Vegas. I wish people would be more understanding. You're not her fan if you're going to boo her for speaking a different language.

Hope GEM can improve her relationship with reporters and fans so that she won't get fired at almost everyday.

chinese people are supposed to speak manadarin. That's the countries official language, not cantonese

And the language of HK people is Cantonese. HK is not mainland.

If you dont like the fact that shes doing too much in mandarin then stop buying her music or going to her concerts. Once her managers realize its costing them money they will make her stop.

she was really good in ny when she performed too! Hopefully next time, she would come back to usa for another tour. More chinese/hong kong artists coming to usa would be the best! So much fans out of China!

Omg Gem in Las Vegas!! I miss my chance to see her concert...but I"ll prefer her to speak in cantonese rather than mandarin!!

Sounds like some of the similar complaints of her previous concerts where ppl were complaining that she was singing mostly mandarin songs even though she was performing in HK, I think ppl need to chill a little

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0