Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

G.E.M. booed for speaking Mandarin at Las Vegas concert

182 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts Hong Kong

gem_tang_singing_0.jpg

Hong Kong pop star G.E.M. performed at the Venetian in Las Vegas on Saturday night. According to Apple Daily, concertgoers report that G.E.M. was heckled by audience members for speaking mostly in Mandarin throughout the show. "You are a Hongkonger!" they reportedly shouted. Some attendees also claimed that she was singing off-key.

On Sunday G.E.M. posted a message on her Facebook page saying she’ll “never give up” no matter how difficult the road ahead becomes. The Shanghai-born Hong Kong singer, currently on her second world tour, has been very popular since her 2008 debut EP.

stupid people, the audience is american, are they gonna speak english? lol

i don't think it was her personal decision, the general rule is don't bite the hand that feeds you

i think ill be going to her concert in new york this weekend. i feel bad for her cause they always get booed and talked bad about when she speaks mando

she definitely change after her popularity rise after I Am Singer contest in China

Is it because of her off-key and Mandarin that she becomes popular...perhaps. But if these people doesn't like her style then dun go to her concert lor, simple as that.

sad but true. most of the ppl that expect to go see her in a concert would expect her to speak more cantonese since she did sang most of her songs in canto. i would be upset too but not to the point to boo at her. add oil

No matter she speak Mandarin or Cantonese, as long as her songs are good.

I like GEM and think she's very talented. She should speak in whatever language she wishes. People should respect that and if they don't then just don't go to her concert next time.

I'm from HK , but tt's really hard to differentiate now a days with all the anamosity between HK and china. But if there were any sponsors from mainland, I wouldn't be surprised why she wouldn't be speaking some mando. As long as there is a mixture of both canto and mando, i think it's all cool. afterall, she doesn't only have canto fans.

just going to make people dislike her even more. she reminds me of JB...lol

Only low self-esteem people need to constantly remind others who they are. I'm ABC and learned Mandarin and Cantonese by watching Chinese dramas/shows. How hard is it? What if she sings in English tomorrow? Are you going to still complain? Learn to love and embrace yourself and own kind for others to not look down on you.

I think you're completly off, I don't think they did it because of whatever self-esteem or had any bad meaning. They live in a foreign country I bet they just want to feel like the concert was held in Hong Kong, moreover by doing so they've made G.E.M knows that even this far cantonese speakers support her which is why she mostly spoke cantonese afterward as mentioned in early post before yours.

Edited by sups

stop complaining! its not like you don't understand mandarin its easily understandable to a cantonese speaker

She should have catered to the audience, if it was a mostly Cantonese speaking one then use Canto, if it was a mostly Mandarin speaking then use Mandarin. Ever since she exploded back to relevancy, negative news have followed her which is a shame, since she's a very talented girl with a great voice.

speaking of roots, she is born in Shanghai her family are from shanghai though she grew up in HK that does not mean shes is a hong-konger. she is a shanghai born, but a singer based in hong kong. also lets not forget she shot to international fame through her participation in mainland china show I am Singer season 2.

if most of her audience is cantonese-speaking people, then yes she can easily switch to cantonese when speaking to them. but song-wise....the concerts was planned a long time ago, i dont think she can just change it on the spot. like a previous person had said they should probably do their research to see if that area is mainly cantonese or mandarin so they can plan accordingly.

on a side note, i feel like she is getting all these negative comments for speaking/singing in mandarin is because of the political problems between hongkong and china.

anyways, I will support G.E.M whether it is mandarin or cantonese singing/speaking! :cheers:

Sometimes ppl can be so critical for no reason. Its hard to find a balance in life

that's so stupid...you're there to watch her sing...not speak. it doesn't matter what language she choose to speak. idiots...

It's hard to judge a crowd, artists have to take a step and adjust along the way. Now what would have happened if see spoke nothing but English at the concert? (what would the news be?).

But, it's good to know that someone did go to her concert and provided evidence to the contrary.

When she came to Sydney, I was quite bummed that she spoke Mandarin for the majority of the concert as well ^^;

this is not what music should be about.... I really hope some veteran would stand up to this nonsense.

GEM is surely getting loads of negative news lately. Not really a fan of hers but feels she is being picked on. However she needs to get her act together before she goes down the slippery slope of fame

Well, I can't remember that there are many Cantonese speaking Asians in Las Vegas. She actually could speak in English ... music has no language boundaries!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0