Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh33pymd

G.E.M. booed for speaking Mandarin at Las Vegas concert

182 posts in this topic

Source: Coconuts Hong Kong

gem_tang_singing_0.jpg

Hong Kong pop star G.E.M. performed at the Venetian in Las Vegas on Saturday night. According to Apple Daily, concertgoers report that G.E.M. was heckled by audience members for speaking mostly in Mandarin throughout the show. "You are a Hongkonger!" they reportedly shouted. Some attendees also claimed that she was singing off-key.

On Sunday G.E.M. posted a message on her Facebook page saying she’ll “never give up” no matter how difficult the road ahead becomes. The Shanghai-born Hong Kong singer, currently on her second world tour, has been very popular since her 2008 debut EP.

Aiya...missed her concert. Does it really matter? Mandarin, Cantonese are all Chinese language.

this isn't the first time this happened, she should do what her fans want though

first it was getting upset at her singing in mandarin, now they are upset shes speaking it. For something so trivial, who needs that type of fans anyways

Yeah Do not give up! learn good English! you can get high professional teacher!

she has definetely changed after the I am a Singer Contest... this is what fame can do to you...

I was at the concert. Yes, a lot of people were shouting for her to speak Cantonese, but there were no "Boos." She did begin the concert in all Mandarin, but she ended it speaking mostly Cantonese. Also, did not hear any "off-key" notes. She did pretty good job.

I hope this report isnt true. Gem is one of the few singers i still like from hk.

I was there, no one booed some people were just screaming "Speak Cantonese" "We speak Cantonese"

poor gem she lost her original presence.

Her songs are still good but not the same feel anymore.

at a las vegas- one would assume that you would speak english to the crowd- but if the crowd is mostly cantonese- then she should have done her research and also speak her mother tongue rather than show off

I thinks it's sad that more and more often, HK artists mostly sing Mandarin songs to fulfill the huge mainland market.

geez. if you heckle then you can't really be a fan, can you?

Only low self-esteem people need to constantly remind others who they are. I'm ABC and learned Mandarin and Cantonese by watching Chinese dramas/shows. How hard is it? What if she sings in English tomorrow? Are you going to still complain? Learn to love and embrace yourself and own kind for others to not look down on you.

I think people are getting too concerned about this..does it really matter? As long as her songs are great, either language is good

Well I guess she is being brainwashed too to speak more Mandarin to entertain Mainlanders. The only attractive part of her now is her chest to many. Glad i didnt waste money go see her concert in LV.

I was at the concert. Yes, a lot of people were shouting for her to speak Cantonese, but there were no "Boos." She did begin the concert in all Mandarin, but she ended it speaking mostly Cantonese. Also, did not hear any "off-key" notes. She did pretty good job.

Thanks for verifying although not a fan of G.E.M. This just proved how twisted news are written!

People should just boycott her...no more music sales, no more concert tickets sales...etc

Even though I wasn't at the concert, I had a friend that attended~ he said it was a great show and he enjoyed it. I would understand the thing about speaking Cantonese tho~ last time Eason chan came to California the crowd booed when he sang his classic in mandarin instead of Cantonese~ not that we need to remind when they r from but they should know to cater to their audience

well....this is what happens when your sponsors are Mandarin speakers and they require you to speak that language. All artist that sing in Vegas do that.....even Jacky Cheung had to!

I"m not quite sure how GEM became so popular....so much negative news assoicated with her recently. Does she not remember her HK roots or is she all about money so she speaks mando?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0