Followers 0
Chloe.C

“Sze You Tonight" receives criticism for copying American talk shows

84 posts in this topic

Source: MingPao / ST Headline

Image: Apple Daily

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

zn1lxu.jpg

rr1o9l.jpg

10e56yw.jpg

“Sze You Tonight" receives criticism for copying American talk shows

The night before, TVB's premiere of "Sze You Tonight", produced and hosted by Johnson Lee, averaged 16 PTS, dropping 2 PTS from the same time slot last week. Netizens criticized "Sze You Tonight" for three "crimes", copying foreign shows, vulgar content and wasting food. The Communications Authority Buereau received 7 complaints, while TVB received 6.

Copied "The Late Show with David Letterman"

Johnson Lee imitated the American talk show style for the show, from the opening to the background being all the same. In the "True or False" game he played with his guest, Edwin Siu, having to choose to answer "Truth" or "Life", he was asked by Edwin: "Have you ever been on Ellen Chan's bed?" Johnson chose to say the truth: "I haven't in 2015!" Netizens heavily criticized the show for copying "The Late Show with David Letterman" and "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon". In the show, Sandra Ng brought the "golden ducks", Wilfred Lau, Benji Chiang, etc. to dance, performing vulgar content such as "wanting to pee and poo". Edwin Siu, Priscilla Wong, etc. played a egg cracking on head game, which was accused of copying "Egg Russian Roulette" and "Running Man". The duo "思文敗類", with Johnson and Pal Sinn, performed a skit, which was also criticized for copying Michael Hui's "The Hui Brothers Show" back in the days.

Johnson Lee feels the criticism are praises in his eyes

Yesterday at the "Sze You Tonight" recording, Johnson Lee responded to the netizens' criticism. "Before, I already made it clear that it would be similar to David Letterman's show. Being like an international show is better than being like garbage." He stated that these types of tonight shows have been done in foreign countries for many years already, why doesn't TVB do one? Some comments said he copied 80% of the concept, to him this is a compliment, as he's reached the international level. He did not guide the audience to "want to pee or poo"; he believes the audience has a brain and were taught by their mothers. The average being 16 PTS, he thinks it's quite good, as the audience needs time to adjust to it. Pal Sinn also expressed that many talk shows are done in the same format in many places, just like how TV news reports have a set format as well. Yesterday night's guests were Natalie Tong, Samantha Ko, Michael Hui and Kay Tse. Michael Hui suggested to Johnson Lee that the show can have more in-depth content and doesn't need too many games. Right now, it is a bit too exaggerated. He also doesn't agree with saying too much inappropriate words like "poo, pee and farts"; should use humour to bring information to the audience. However, Michael praised Johnson Lee for his talent. Michael has also always dreamed of having a show like the "Tonight Show"; he hopes he can fulfill this dream before he retires.

Regarding the show copying foreign talk shows, Samantha Ko said: "I haven't watched, so I don't know. But the most important is that the show bring happiness to the audience. The whole world is like that, don't know who copied whom first." Kay also supported Johnson: "He's always wanted to do a show like the foreign Late Night Shows. Hong Kong doesn't have something like that. (Criticized for talking about pee, poo and farts?) Night shows can be a bit more explicit, using a relaxed style to express. Don't mind too much!"

Copying talk shows is not ok but singing contest shows is? Great effort by Johnson in trying to localize a foreign format.

Unless Letterman starts bringing in the HK actors and actresses, I see no problems with Johnson's show.

I wonder how this show will turn out! I'm keeping my mind open :D

First, I think there's nothing wrong with copying shows. Asian game shows copy each other all the time and the audience still loves it. Apparently, it is Johnson and his ideas the audience are not liking. I think this guys is trying too hard to reach the top and to be funny when he is not even a funny and outgoing person to begin with. shaking my head....

Maybe it will be decent as long as it is well-thought out. The two American talk shows are pretty bad other than the interviews. Jimmy Fallon is awful, trying so hard to be funny although the recent lip sync skit was surprisingly good.

What's there to complain about, at least HK has a Tonight show now. What time does it air in HK, complaints about vulgar material yet its air late at night.

damn, i haven't watched the show, but from looking at both pics of the anchor set, they do look very very similar

I can`t accept plagiarism. Lack of originality! TVB hasn't new idea for shows.

So he admits it takes after it. If there's any plagiarism or copyright issues the original show will go after it. Otherwise people should just take in the opportunity to have a show first produced overseas in their own language and to absorb the cultural differences in shows. It's all the complaints and sh*t that prevent the media from being able to be more daring with their ideas and programming

All shows are a copy, but different in its own way. I watched the first episode it's ok, it's typical of Johnson as he like to play silly games.

That part of dancing was ridiculous, WTH was I watching. And that part of Edwin was fun, but you must not do that every time, one time is enough...

Sigh, this just seems to be another case of ignorant people complaining about something that was already made public before.

its ok to copy other shows but to make it bad is not ok... it's actually not that interesting... hope the next one can be better

Hong Kong people needs to try not to hate... how hard is it to turn off the TV and save some electricity.

The criticism is just stupid. One of the first things Johnson said on the episode was that the show was meant to be similar to the Late Show and Tonight Show. I don't see what's wrong with that. All the late night talk shows in America and around the world share a format. It can't be called a late night talk show if the format is different. That would be like having a game show without prizes or a comedy without jokes.

Most of their variety shows are copies anyways, they should really come up with more original stuff or are the writers there that bad?

I watched some parts of the first episode and it does look like other late shows, but at least it is something different compared to other variety shows. They should try to make the show more entertaining

it's very interesting the way some people think about the way TVB does their series. It's good that Johnson is stepping outside of his comfort zone and imitating the US late night talk shows. However, there should also be some original element to make it more "Asian/HK"?

In case Hong Kong people are not aware.....but there are lots of these late night talk shows in North America....that means they all are copying each other. Why don't they complain about that....

these types of shows are all the same - it is an existing format so even if there are a few different segments the general run through is the same everywhere

I don't see ppl complaining about how the hong kong people are copying the beauty pageants, the talent shows, the travel shows.... news flash.... in the 21st century everything is a copy, deal with it

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0