Followers 0
Chloe.C

“Sze You Tonight" receives criticism for copying American talk shows

84 posts in this topic

Source: MingPao / ST Headline

Image: Apple Daily

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

zn1lxu.jpg

rr1o9l.jpg

10e56yw.jpg

“Sze You Tonight" receives criticism for copying American talk shows

The night before, TVB's premiere of "Sze You Tonight", produced and hosted by Johnson Lee, averaged 16 PTS, dropping 2 PTS from the same time slot last week. Netizens criticized "Sze You Tonight" for three "crimes", copying foreign shows, vulgar content and wasting food. The Communications Authority Buereau received 7 complaints, while TVB received 6.

Copied "The Late Show with David Letterman"

Johnson Lee imitated the American talk show style for the show, from the opening to the background being all the same. In the "True or False" game he played with his guest, Edwin Siu, having to choose to answer "Truth" or "Life", he was asked by Edwin: "Have you ever been on Ellen Chan's bed?" Johnson chose to say the truth: "I haven't in 2015!" Netizens heavily criticized the show for copying "The Late Show with David Letterman" and "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon". In the show, Sandra Ng brought the "golden ducks", Wilfred Lau, Benji Chiang, etc. to dance, performing vulgar content such as "wanting to pee and poo". Edwin Siu, Priscilla Wong, etc. played a egg cracking on head game, which was accused of copying "Egg Russian Roulette" and "Running Man". The duo "思文敗類", with Johnson and Pal Sinn, performed a skit, which was also criticized for copying Michael Hui's "The Hui Brothers Show" back in the days.

Johnson Lee feels the criticism are praises in his eyes

Yesterday at the "Sze You Tonight" recording, Johnson Lee responded to the netizens' criticism. "Before, I already made it clear that it would be similar to David Letterman's show. Being like an international show is better than being like garbage." He stated that these types of tonight shows have been done in foreign countries for many years already, why doesn't TVB do one? Some comments said he copied 80% of the concept, to him this is a compliment, as he's reached the international level. He did not guide the audience to "want to pee or poo"; he believes the audience has a brain and were taught by their mothers. The average being 16 PTS, he thinks it's quite good, as the audience needs time to adjust to it. Pal Sinn also expressed that many talk shows are done in the same format in many places, just like how TV news reports have a set format as well. Yesterday night's guests were Natalie Tong, Samantha Ko, Michael Hui and Kay Tse. Michael Hui suggested to Johnson Lee that the show can have more in-depth content and doesn't need too many games. Right now, it is a bit too exaggerated. He also doesn't agree with saying too much inappropriate words like "poo, pee and farts"; should use humour to bring information to the audience. However, Michael praised Johnson Lee for his talent. Michael has also always dreamed of having a show like the "Tonight Show"; he hopes he can fulfill this dream before he retires.

Regarding the show copying foreign talk shows, Samantha Ko said: "I haven't watched, so I don't know. But the most important is that the show bring happiness to the audience. The whole world is like that, don't know who copied whom first." Kay also supported Johnson: "He's always wanted to do a show like the foreign Late Night Shows. Hong Kong doesn't have something like that. (Criticized for talking about pee, poo and farts?) Night shows can be a bit more explicit, using a relaxed style to express. Don't mind too much!"

Still need to watch this, but everything is copy. Let just say this is a chineses version of David.

It really looked like the Lettermen show but I think there are other shows that tvb copies from other stations

I think most of the time if you copy little parts from different shows (or even from different countries) and then put them together it'd be okay

Sze You Tonight is really similar to David Letterman's show.

he said it outright that it's like the American show, it's not like he's hiding the fact or pretending it's his idea...what's the big deal? China copies American shows all the time...

HK people have nothing better in life than criticizing and complaining. Johnson clearly stated it will be similar to American talk shows. Every show in the world is copying each other or buying the airing copyrights. Most of the American Shows are not originated in US, US stations buy the copyrights to them such as Who Wants To Be Millionaire, The Voice, America Got Talent..... Same as the Chinese version of I am a Singer, Running Man, and The Voice (originated in Netherlands) which are currently very popular in China. I dont see them complaining those shows are exactly the same, ashame of my own HK people >.>

Edited by darockiscookin

i love what he is doing. As he is trying to bring American Talk Show shows to Hong Kong. Something I believe Hong Kong does not have.

Agree with what everyone's said so far. It's a copy, but who cares? It's not like he's copying all the content and even copying what they say on the show? Just copying the format, which is something HK doesn't have. There are a few Late Shows that have the exact setting/format in America as well, I don't see people making stupid accusations over there? I duno how the show is, but bringing this concept over to Hong Kong seems completely fine to me. What really matters is if he does it WELL and is bringing good entertainment to the screen. Concepts are brought over and used / copied all over the world; it doesn't even matter -_- I really agree with what Pal Sinn said in the article, that some things just have the same formats, just like TV News reports. So are we gona criticize all the channels in the world who report news with a news anchor sitting at a table? -___- I suppose they could've been more original with the set of the show, but it's not a big deal.

Just seems like typical HK people who deliberately criticizes TVB on everything they do. TVB isn't a great company, but HK netizens just tend to be really extreme with their hatred. They'll just jump at you at any chance they get, no matter small or big matter.

HK people really need to build a bridge... if you dont like it. dont watch it.

Why complain all day. Its bad for your health.

oh well, just take this as the chinese version of the american show and case closed, what is there to critized.

This show is not funny at all it seen not right...I don't watch it!

The Hong Kong people complain about every thing, life, TV, money, government, pooping, Chinese, anything. Johnson's new show it is similar to the American shows, but who the hell cares! It's still entertainment, the show is mad funny, they did not find it entertaining while sitting on their butt at home or at a restaurant watching it? Have they even watch the American version of the show? If they care so much about copying, they should turn off the TV, read a book, go outside and enjoy the outdoors.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that! They are using the same format. I was waiting for something like that for that we can see HK celebs in the same setting! I liked it and hopes it goes on for a while!

That is late night show culture, not really copy. However I'd like for the guests and host to have more interaction and discussion than just play silly games. Some games are a bit ridiculous, should have a little more content. But it's still fresh and something HK doesn't have yet.

As long as it is entertaining, it does not matter if it is a copy. Rather than just play games with guests, sometimes what netizens want to see is probably celebrity guests open up topic to discuss.

I might enjoy watching this show because it will bring alot of funny talk. Hong Kong never had this type of show air before, so is good to have on in our native languages.

In the show, Sandra Ng reminds me of Ellen DeGeneres. She should do a short clip parody. I think that would be kind of funny. Anyways, I never really enjoyed Jimmy Fallon's show but if Sze You Tonight can be entertaining and not get sue for "copying" then who cares.

One a side note, Alex To's 脫掉 is a copy of DJ Doc's Bounce with me....

Edited by cderic

as long as they openly say its a imitation of it, I think its perfectly fine. it's not like tvb got anything great to watch, why not copy other great programs.

i guess the worst part is making it a tone down version of super trio with all the games.

It's pretty obvious from the beginning that Johnson is trying to use a Letterman show format to HK audiences and he makes no apologies for that.

I think its good to see a tonight show format in HK, They need to get the gags and guest list right. When international artist visit HK, i guess they will try to invite them onto the show for cross promotion which will be good or HK film stars, not just TVB artists.

It would be better Live than pre-recorded though..Like Enjoy Yourself Tonight which was live in its heyday.

this seem sot be quite common, criticism is to be expected

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0