Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chloe.C

HKTV ratings dropping; "The Election 2" production pushed back

64 posts in this topic

Source: AppleDaily

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

2czam9g.jpg

HKTV ratings dropping; "The Election 2" production pushed back

The TV station monopoly in Hong Kong seems to be hard to change. Tomorrow is the deadline for the bidding of part of ATV's shares. If there is still no "white knight" to save them, they may have to face the fate of liquidation. On the other side, HKTV's situation is also not very optimistic. Last November, the online platform was finally launched, and Ricky Wong had expressed that HKTV will start producing new shows this February. However, unfortunately the recent airing drama "Once Upon a Song" was not able to continue the results of "To Be or Not to Be". Ratings fell tremendously; the daily average of clicks by accounts dropped from last last week's 127,000 to last week's 105,000, a drop of 17.3%.

Sources say that Ricky Wong is worried about "only expenses going out and nothing coming in", so they have pushed the plan (for new show production) to May. However, the internal staff is not very optimistic about that. Rumoured to be the first drama to film after starting production again, "The Election II"'s director Wong Kwok Keung admitted through phone that ratings were not ideal, he said: "There's definitely some disappointment, but I understand. This platform is not that convenient to watch, still really far from the ideal platform." After his contract with HKTV is over, he will be starting his new job in February. He said: "I don't think we will be able to start filming in February or March, nor can Uncle Chi fit it into his schedule. But I told Mr. Wong, if they really do film it later on, I will try my best to fit it into my schedule."

Angelica Lee, who was in "The Election" attended an event in Tsim Sha Tsui today. She expressed that she hasn't decided whether she will agree to film the second installment: "Need to see the script first."

As for Mizz Eva, who sang the insert song "I'll Be There" for "The Election", also finished her contract with HKTV last month. Thankfully, she was spotted by a company and signed on 3 years to become Chilam Cheung's junior.

I think it's really that taste and genre that hong kongers prefer. They like mysterious, action, and comedy series rather than drama which incorporates too much dialogue.

the show started out pretty good then start to lose interested.

I guess not many people are shopping from there site either.

No surprised. People will wait til all the episodes are out then watch it.

Once Upon A Song is pretty disappointing... The Election is the only drama that is actually good from HKTV.

TVB dramas are starting to lose its appeals to a certain group of viewers ... while on the other end of the table, new startup TV station HKTV is not doing good and fails to capture the interests of the audiences ... certainly something drastic must be done to improve the situation for the 2 TV stations so they can win back the heart of the viewers.

Edited by kenixkwok

I've seen a bit of the HKTV shows, I can honestly say that I got bored very quickly. I mean I get bored with some TVB shows too, but I generally can sit through a couple of episodes with TVB, whereas the one I saw for HKTV I can't even remember what the name of it was anymore...I think writers and producers in HK just don't seem to care about the stories anymore and think we'll just take whatever. I'll watch The Empress of China, it's not fantastic, but at least I see the effort into making a decent, actually serious, historical drama.

don't feel any interesting fr the series .. look forward

to others series fr HKTV

hope HKTV will get better soon. I'm really surprised they released once upon a song. I'm the minority, I think Borderline is not that good. But the other two was excellent, just not too "traditional" hk flavor. I thought they should've release The Menu instead, taking advantage of Charlie Hebdo and apple daily events. It'll make more noise. But they release a musical instead, shocking. Wish the best of luck to them. If they close down and ATV survives, I really have to think about whether or not I should continue watching hk dramas.

I think is really due to many usual habits that people can't make changes. So use to the other channels that by default all their favorites are set to that thus no way they are changing to this channel.

Ha! That Ricky Wong does not seem to be able to bring forth all his promises. The online platform, he says, is harder to view? That is not true since a lot of TVB viewers have switched to online viewing. He is just making excuses! The real problem is their production is bad. I watched Borderline and it was filmed so poorly and the acting was so bad! I don't understand how some artists lose the ability to act simply because they are at a different company. They cannot blame it on the script because the script writers are also from TVB....just bad production all around.

i rekon once upon a time is better then election and to be or not to be, at least its a more comedy series then a serious show

i rekon if they were showin on tv instead of online... there ratings would def go up

how many aunties and uncles these days still dont know how to use computer but sticking with tv only

that alone loses so much audience already

Edited by sky168

I honestly gave HKTV a good chance -- I started all 3 of the initial drama but unfortunately didn't finish any of them and don't plan to~ although the idea behind is bold I don't think the story is written in a way to provoke emotions (at least for me) I love I love the first 10 mins of to be or not to be and it was super strong opening but the spark disappeared by epi 3~ I praise hktv for trying to break out of the box but why put urself in the box in the beginning?

Kind of disappointed that ratings are not that high. Hopefully HKTV doesn't turned out to be like ATV where no one watches them. I think people in Hong Kong are too used to TVB.

I thought Election was good enough series, the camera work is quite refreshing rather than the old TVB format where the settling can seem too fake.

It's a pity to hear that HKTV is not doing so well. I hope the government issues them a license to air.

I haven't watched The Election or Once Upon A Song yet but the previous 2 series were pretty good; I had thoroughly enjoyed them, although I didn't think I would enjoy To Be or Not to Be, but I did. I don't think every series will have high ratings, it will take some time.

Yea most people just wait for the whole series to be finished then start watching.

Once Upon A Song is not that great which can explain the drop in ratings. Wouldn't be worried unless it becomes a longer term trend

their series aren't living up to the hype, don't really watch their series anymore

To Be or Not to Be was very good, its understandable the ratings dropped after because I also am not that interested in the new show

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0