Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chloe.C

HKTV ratings dropping; "The Election 2" production pushed back

64 posts in this topic

Source: AppleDaily

Translated by: Chloe.C @

Hidden Content

Like this post or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

2czam9g.jpg

HKTV ratings dropping; "The Election 2" production pushed back

The TV station monopoly in Hong Kong seems to be hard to change. Tomorrow is the deadline for the bidding of part of ATV's shares. If there is still no "white knight" to save them, they may have to face the fate of liquidation. On the other side, HKTV's situation is also not very optimistic. Last November, the online platform was finally launched, and Ricky Wong had expressed that HKTV will start producing new shows this February. However, unfortunately the recent airing drama "Once Upon a Song" was not able to continue the results of "To Be or Not to Be". Ratings fell tremendously; the daily average of clicks by accounts dropped from last last week's 127,000 to last week's 105,000, a drop of 17.3%.

Sources say that Ricky Wong is worried about "only expenses going out and nothing coming in", so they have pushed the plan (for new show production) to May. However, the internal staff is not very optimistic about that. Rumoured to be the first drama to film after starting production again, "The Election II"'s director Wong Kwok Keung admitted through phone that ratings were not ideal, he said: "There's definitely some disappointment, but I understand. This platform is not that convenient to watch, still really far from the ideal platform." After his contract with HKTV is over, he will be starting his new job in February. He said: "I don't think we will be able to start filming in February or March, nor can Uncle Chi fit it into his schedule. But I told Mr. Wong, if they really do film it later on, I will try my best to fit it into my schedule."

Angelica Lee, who was in "The Election" attended an event in Tsim Sha Tsui today. She expressed that she hasn't decided whether she will agree to film the second installment: "Need to see the script first."

As for Mizz Eva, who sang the insert song "I'll Be There" for "The Election", also finished her contract with HKTV last month. Thankfully, she was spotted by a company and signed on 3 years to become Chilam Cheung's junior.

ratings from the internet and tv is not the same. people will wait til all the episodes are out then start watching. the site for hktv is crap too.

It is not the platform. The quality of drama has continued to decline. The only one that is still interesting is Election, which started to air on the first week of the network launch. As each new series started to air, it got worse. Will this trend continues?

yeah.. no surprise, the new series doesnt seem that good.

the last two series were interesting at least, this one just doesnt appeal to anyone

I think this is very unfair.. HKTV have many good and strong support! come on HK be fair...

ask Ricky merge with ATV biz partner else both also death. Join hands and win on TVB ratings

The quality of the series got worst. Honestly Once Upon A Song is terrible despite the cast. Even To Be or Not To Be wasn't that great.

I have tried watching some of the HKTV stuff...just the dramas hvaen't really appealed to me.

this is really a shame... HKTV drama are really good... they are done with a lot of care not like the TVB dramas that are rushed and cliche

this is a very dark but refreshing series at the same time. it's a shame that the ratings aren't doing the show justice. hope hktv can withstand the pressure from broadcasting tv industry. the series have been really good and actors all doing well. :drinksss:

To be honest, i feel that all hk drama is bad nowadays. Cheap production, same (old) actor/actress that portrays 20s 30s years old even though they are in their 40s and 50s, same storyline. Drama back in the days (2000-2007) are so so so much better.

Interesting how much comments vary, original post talked about 17.3% drop rate, in which some comments seems to confirm that. But there also some comments to defend HKTV, did people set their expectation way too high?

Quite and unfortunate news, considering Noblesse (that ending rush as usual) and Madam Cutie was subpar.

haven't watched "once upon a song" yet after to be or not to be ended. but i don't think hktv should give up this easily because of one bad drama. look at how many crappy dramas tvb has produced and they are still going.

Surprised to see this news..thought they would do better than TVB

No surprise on the rating as most people wait till the drama finished and then watch it through internet. No fair for HKTV, hope they could survive, unlike ATV.

Hmmmm, hope the ratings will be improved and the productions will be increased again. More varieties for us consumers to watch! :)

ya not going to lie. once upon a song is pretty weak. they should of aired the better shows first. like the vampire one heh

once upon a song is not a match for to be or not to be... totally different genres and types

while the election may have potential it is not necessary something HK people are used to, watching 1 episode every week is very different

it may work in north america but to make this change in HK will be very difficult and may take a lot of work

he should get together with atv. that way he can still push his visions for more creative dramas. althoug tvb and its actors have such a hold on people. we know them and thats what we are used to.

wow it's pretty crazy that there is still a monopoly in TV stations in HK.

They should do what USA does where they shop for shows instead of producing their own.

I think this will cut down their cost.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0