Tony Leung Chiu Wai ... Mr. Yee

Tang Wei ... Wang Jiazhi

Wang Lee Hom ... Kuang Yu-Min

Joan Chen ... Mrs. Yee

Chu Chih Ying Chu

Anupam Kher ... Indian Jeweller

Johnson Yuen

Synopsis:

Shanghai, 1942. The World War II Japanese occupation of this Chinese city continues in force. Mrs. Mak, a woman of sophistication and means, walks into a café, places a call, and then sits and waits. She remembers how her story began several years earlier, in 1938 China. She is not in fact Mrs. Mak, but shy Wong Chia Chi (Tang Wei). With WWII underway, Wong has been left behind by her father, who has escaped to England. As a freshman at university, she meets fellow student Kuang Yu Min (Wang Leehom). Kuang has started a drama society to shore up patriotism. As the theater troupe's new leading lady, Wong realizes that she has found her calling, able to move and inspire audiences -- and Kang. He convenes a core group of students to carry out a radical and ambitious plan to assassinate a top Japanese collaborator, Mr. Yee (Tony Leung). Each student has a part to play; Wong will be Mrs. Mak, who will gain Yee's trust by befriending his wife (Joan Chen) and then draw the man into an affair. Wong transforms herself utterly inside and out, and the scenario proceeds as scripted -- until an unexpected fatal twist spurs her to flee.

Three years later, with no end in sight for the occupation, Wong, having emigrated to Hong Kong, goes through the motions of her existence. Much to her surprise, Kuang re-enters her life. Now part of the organized resistance, he enlists her to again become Mrs. Mak in a revival of the plot to kill Yee, who as head of the collaborationist secret service has become even more a key part of the puppet government. As Wong reprises her earlier role, and is drawn ever closer to her dangerous prey, she finds her very identity being pushed to the limit...

Tralier:

Trivia:

This film received plenty of news due to the explicit love scenes between Tony Leung & Tang Wei...There are 2 versions released...The specially edited version (148 mins) would be released in China (Does not have rating system) and Singapore but the uncut version (R21) will be brought in at a later date...The film would be run uncut (157 mins) in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Canada under category III, R and 18A rating respectively which bans viewers under 18. It is also NC-17 in the US.

It won 2 awards in the "Venice Film Festival". Lee Ang won the "Golden Lion" and Rodrigo Prieto for "Best Cinematography".

+credits to tribute.ca+

The explicit love scenes between Tony Leung & Tang Wei, are both of them naked or just Tony? How long is this movie?

This aint my type of movie but is has Tony Leung in it so i gota watch it! one of ma fav actors! such a good actor!

Yea, its def worth watching, I've heard really good reviews about it, also I haven't seen it yet

I watched this movie and i thought it was very well filmed. Tong Wei has SUPER good acting and after watching the movie it makes me think alot about the details that happened in the movie! Highly recommended!

read the essay, watched the movie, didn't really get the movie thu, thought it's kind boring... like the essay better, leaves u more space to think over.

haven;t seen this movie yet but im looking forward to it. though i quite like tawianese movies so im hoping this would be good and plus the cast is ok aswell tony leung and leehom

lee hom is so leng chai!!! handsome.... hahaha.. yeah this movie is a great kick tho de beginning is quite boring.. love it

movies kinda boring but I do like Tony Leung. Just surprised that he did this kind of movie.

OH I WANT SO BAD. I SAW THE GOLDEN HORSE AWARDS THIS MOVIE WON MADDDD AWARDS AND LEE HOM IS IN IT TOOOO <333333333333333333

read the essay, watched the movie, didn't really get the movie thu, thought it's kind boring... like the essay better, leaves u more space to think over.

ya , I felt that when I finished the movie but after I thought of it slowly later I could understand more :)

i was so disappointed with this movie! definately not a family movie but it wasn't as scandalous as i expected it to be.

I watched this movie at the theatre. It's pretty good. I am getting bored by the "man" type of hong kong movies, but the focus of this movie is on a woman.. pretty good.

dang i want to see this movie but the near by theaters are not showin it = / the desciption makes this movie sound good

Congrats to Ang Lee and Lust Caution for winning so many awards in the Golden Horse..

I'm glad they're nominated in the Golden Globe too.. can't wait for the dvd to come out =)

Good movie. Big fan of Lee Ang. Can't wait to see his latest release.

I heard from various news reports that this is a really good movie. However, it has a sex scene. I guess this movie wouldnt be available on AEU.

I like the movie though it's a bit slow. My favourite actors, Tony Leong & Leehom are both in it.

I am looking forward to see this movie too. But I don't know it is good or bad. I don't like the actress. I hope that I can see this movie soon.

heh... yeah, let's not bring any politics into this.. politics makes a lot of things seem stupid

Theres so so much hype about this film. Not seen it yet but it looks kinda rubbish to be honest. prove me wrong by all means but, it seems to me that this is one of them films which tries to hard to make an impression, but at the end it's just overcooked it