Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JiangYu

Who is the Chinese female singer with the best voice currently/ Is Taiwan losing its touch on female singers?

7 posts in this topic

I'm not sure where this is suppoed to go but I guess it's a musical discussion which is general rather than a, "this or that" topic. The question is, who really is the better female vocal singer. Let's not be biased here in terms to who your favourite singers are who generally possess the most vocal ability. I'll start with my list and I'm not basing this on my favourite artists with some videos to show you what I mean:

1. 張力尹 (Zhang Li Yin) - I can't really find anyone who tops Zhang Li Yin in terms of vocal ability. It's a really hard choice for me to choose between her and Jane Zhang but I just think her voice is more controlled.

The one thing which annoys me sometimes about her is her use of vibrato is so unnecessary in some of her songs (e.g.初戀) , not this one though.

2. 張靚穎 (Jane Zhang) - no surprises there. Her ability to whistle register with ease is really something. Not only that though - her voice is really powerful that I sometimes think she's better than Li Yin but decided against it this time. What do you think? Her voice in this live version of, "I'll Be there" is aaaamazing - her vocal pitching is crazy in this video:

3. Della Ding Dang - alright, she's my third choice but I've got to say she doesn't compare to either Zhang Li Yin or Jane, not even close. Those guys are at another level and unfortunately, I don't think Della Ding Dang can ever get to that level. However, Della is probably better than most other singers. Listen to this and tell me what you think:

I've heard Della whistle register as well. She can do it

Alright, at this rate I'm really struggling to carry on this list but if I tried, Jess would probably be #4.

4. 李佳薇 (Jess Lee) - she's been around for some time but I was really impressed by her song 都會好的, especially the crescendo towards the end at 2minutes 25. Strong voice but I can't see her really doing much else to top the guys above.

That's all I have at the moment and quite a few that I could have added but didn't because I just didn't really think they were special enough to be mentioned. Can anyone enlighten me? Loads of good singers and great singers but I can't and wouldn't call them special.

As a separate question, I've been thinking. In terms of female vocals, do you think Taiwan (which appears to be the hub of Mandopop) is losing its touch on producing really good singers? I mean, don't get me wrong, I prefer most music that comes from Taiwan but I've yet to find someone to really blow me away (vocals). It just seems to me that Mainland China is producing most of the top singers.

Edited by JiangYu

Oh rubbish, this should go in the general music discussion! Can a mod move it, please?

Thanks!

ahh Joey has a pretty voice...........................................................................

Joey is my all time favourite artist I think as she was probably the first artist I really got into. I don't listen to her as much now, especially after her album, "A Time For Us" but I do recognize her as a good singer. She's a great singer in HK along with Mag Lam and GEM but I really don't see her comparing to Zhang Li Yin, Jane Zhang or Della Ding Dang. Her vocals just aren't versatile enough - especially after she lost her voice just before, "Something About You".

In HK she's arguably the best but definitely not in the CPOP industry.

In HK I itnhk it's Joey but in Taiwan I not too sure? I like S.H.E before and Jolin.

Hmm..I enjoy those that you listed but I wouldn't call any of the S.H.E singers or Jolin as particularly holding any special vocal ability.

I think, GEM is the best in Hong Kong and 譚維維 is the best in China.