Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Sweetdreams888

TVB songs

83 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals,

You may or may not be aware there is an ongoing discussion re the theme song of "Triumph in the skies II" (衝上雲宵II) sung by George Lam (林子祥). Apparently there were 50 complaints on this song after the opening episode, when the song was criticized for having old-fashioned lyrics and out-of-style melodies.

Rumours has it that the producer had recommended Chilam Cheung ("Captain Cool") to sing the theme song

Triumph in the Skies 2 had a record-breaking premiere on Monday, July 15. The first episode captured a 99 % appreciation index score and averaged 32 points, peaking to 35. The second episode averaged 33 points and peaked to 34. Clearly the song didn't hurt its ratings !!

What do you think ?

Do you have another song that you think its worse than this one? :95:

In my humble opinion, I can see why this song was picked. Its a powerful ballad of remembrance and comradery which is what this series is sending out to me (besides the usual TVB cliche storylines).

Ok let me write the first comment. I think some or most people see aviation as a sign of togetherness, getting back to your loved ones, so the song sounds "old fashion" and passionate. Also I guess that some of the older pilots actually also flown in war time, making this a poignant reminder of the past. I believe some of the scenes shot, in particular in England (where I am !) pays tribute to the aviation museum.

Edited by darealtidus

it's not the worst song but i feel like it could be a better song?

i don't hate it.

I think the song by Eason was more suitable. I guess each generation has its preference in song style...

for me i really dont like the song either. the song seems old and weird, like the music n image dont match each other

haha its just too "old-fashioned" that doesnt match any of the characters in the series!!

the melody isn't bad, its just how George Lam sings it that makes it so unmatched...

they couldve chosen a way better song. worst song chosen in the last year for a series.

i think it's okay.. don't hate it... but it doesn't really match too well

I actually like the song, brings back memory of the old dramas. But that guy's voice isn't all that pleasing to listen to.

I have watched all 6 eps so far and the feel I get from this series is the love of aviation. The excitement, romance and prestige that it brings like everyone wants to be a pilot!! so although ah Lams voice is a bit over powering, it does serve a purpose I think.

I think its possibly one of a few songs that is sang by an older singer? Susanna Kwan has also sang a number of TVB songs.

I don't see what the big deal is about the song! It's fine, just that the criticisms are coming from mostly the younger crowd who's not familiar with George's songs. He's a good singer and had lots of good hits in the past. The theme song is important for a show but it's not everything. Give the guy a break!

Hmm...it took some time to get used to listening to George Lam. I would much rather prefer Chi Lam or the other cast to since the theme songs. But I guess it made it a big thing so caution lots of pplz attention lol...

i don't see anything wrong with this song, don't know why people is complaining about it, i actually like the sound of it, i think it's pretty good...

when i first heard it, i thought it was some sort of TVB joke. turns out it was the real deal, my facebook page was littered with complaints regarding the theme song and how most people wanted eason back.

I didn't know what series the song was for because I heard it in the kitchen while my dad was watching and really thought it was for a new cop show or something more action like, was shocked it was for TITS2! I like the song but really don't know about it being for this series

Ive grown to like it... but the more you listen...it becomes ok

Edited by darealtidus
removed profanity

i think if chi Lam sing the song will be much better, now it seem the theme song dosen't match the series/

Like many others, I find Eason's song more suitable to the series than the one right now. I wouldn't say it's bad as a song, but sincerely, I've heard better... ^^''

it really sound so bad the meaning to the song was ok but the person to sing this song don't go with the series it just sounded out of place his voice and the way he sing s it sound so old fashion it just mess up , i all ways have to fast forward the when i starts each episode.

the singer is good, but the song sucks. it doesn't seem to fit the movie. the ending song is great and I am looking for the full version.

it could be a better song. i don't think it matches well with this series

cant agree more, its really stupid to put this song as a theme song of a great squeal. Its meant to be fresh and new, but this current theme song makes it look old and doesnt really match the drama