Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iiccicle

What Happen to all The TVB Ancient dramas?

486 posts in this topic

:( I feel that TVB is dropping out the ancient series. If you do to the list of (Currently filming) all you can see is Modern Dramas.

Even so TVB have like 2-3 FINISH Upcoming ancient dramas. There are wayyy too many modern!!!

i hope that TVB won't put away the Ancient dramas!!! i'm a die-hard ancient genre (especially fantasy) dramas. (computer effects)

wat do you guys think? there's like 1/4 ancient drama. :(

i don't really like [PM] dramas xD

If you notice Tvb's trends nowadays the company only airs and films two ancient drama per year ever since 2006. It is sad but true, tvb is trying to shrugs off its ancient drama that made the company famous for many years in the past. To me, the year that tvb produced and aired the most ancient drama is 1994 (with roughly 8 series in that year.) If you take a good look in the schedule of filming and airing for tvb, you will see that in a year the company airs 22 series (out of those series, only 2 considered to be ancient series.) Hong Kong tvb is a part of mainland china but it came under western influence to a great extent that most of its series program adapts to modern reality. We should be glad that tvb is not forgetting its chinese heritage by producing at least 2 ancient drama a year.

To tell you the truth, I am quite disappointed and saddened at the modern trend of tv series that the company (hk-tvb) is producing nowadays. Modern china and modern chinese history is a short period in east asian civilization, if possible every attempt should be made and tried by tvb to produce as many ancient drama as possible. Sadly we are 9 years into the year 2000 and 4 years after the year 2005, two marker of time where tvb is departing from its famous ancient series and adapting to the trends of modern reality. I totally agree with you that hk-tvb should try to produce more ancient series.

Face it, Tvb nowadays is not the same Tvb we used to know and love so much like it was in the past. I am pretty much getting sick and tired of modern drama (police action chasing bad guys, lawyers prosecuting cases, firefighters tried to put out fires in buildings ...). I totally love ancient martial arts swords fighting series where there are a lot of special effects, hairstyle, clothing, and beautiful landscape. After all, what make Chinese movies famous is its martial arts skills, not the shooting of guns (bullets flying around and people getting hurt.)

Edited by kenixkwok

prefer not to have ancient tvb series. really not a big fan of flying swords and human

im not a fan of ancient mystical martial arts lol unless its ancient- comedy or documentary or any solid plot dont want to see some next fireballs flying around .

Edited by loophole

yeah, i prefer ancient dramas too. Love the clothes and hair :)

I agree, I love those ancient series. Movies like Condor Hero and Return of the Condor is my favorite.

Maybe TVB is just running out of good idea for good movies like that. At least they airing this new one series right now "Beyond The Realm of Conscience" seems OK right now.

I think so. I do wish to have both 50% each. Ancient dramas are attractives. The cost of producing them is expensive in comparion with the modern dramas. Anyway I still wish I can watch on TV

I really like ancient dramas, but I think for tvb, the cost is more for ancient dramas, but the audience is less, so they rather make modern series.

well i agree with all of you. but i think its just tvb is kinda running out of ancient storys to product, if you think about it, they cant start making up all these bs ancient stories, it may impact on the history of china & all those legal crap that some chinese people find offensive. i think tvb is jst out of stories. after 42 years everything they could come up with about the ancient times has been used.

i myself personally like ancient series aswell as all the modern series are so cliche, repetitive & boring.

oh wells theres nothing we can do about it.

TVB is a very rich television company, they just do not want to spend big money to make ancient drama. The only one who feels at loss is us (the viewing audience who love ancient drama.) TVB does not suffer, on the contrary, the company every year saves and makes a lot of money by producing all these modern drama.

For over two decades (from 1976 to 2000), Tvb produced a lot of ancient dramas. Most of their best production was in the 1980s. Having grown in the 1990s, I saw that even though a couple of scenes in ancient tvb series were fake, but to compensate for that the instrumental music and the performance of both the main lead and the supporting casts were excellent. Obviously to me right now is the trend of competing for high ratings among tvb series in hong kong. Face it, hong kongese do not like veterans performing in tvb series, nor do they want veteran artists to come back and appear in tvb series. One example, last year Anita Yuen played a lead role in love exchange and instead of welcoming her return to tvb, hong kong people criticized her for numerous mistakes which I found there was none when I watched her series with Michael Miu. Acting skills should be based on years of experience, not on youthfulness. There is no point in bringing veterans back to tvb if hong kong people keep acting the way they are ei acceptance of new artists over veterans, and I feel that as long as hong kongese keep rejecting the return of veteran artists to tvb the modern drama trend will continue for a very long time.

Edited by kenixkwok

Yeah I do love all the ancient period drama like condor heroes, duke of mount deer. The latest one I saw was Devil's Disciples which was really good. :D

I totally agree that TVB has been slacking by not making many kungfu ancient series this past few years (economy recession strikes again?). In fact I am watching more such series from China, and they are really not too bad. I hope TVB will reverse their trend. There are so many classic ancient stories to film.

ancient tvb dramas are good, but yeah i agree, there haven't really been too many recently

i am not a fan of ancient dramas but do like to watch them every now and then...but please not too much of flying around, laser...etc

I agree , bring on the ancient movies, especially histories of china. I like the costumes and the special effect shown in martial arts.I like it most when they show the traditions and customs we chinese have. its such an eye-opener for someone who lives in a western world.

The problem with Tvb not filming many ancient dramas is due to lack of resources like real places, many supporting actors & strong competition faced from Mainland. I mean if filming an ancient drama in Tvb city using it's fake setting too often will result negative effect, same applies to using too much of CGI.

Anyway on regarding why Tvb has not film wuxia dramas ever since Lawrence & Gigi's HSDS in 2000, it's because Louis Cha ban their rights to remake new versions coz Tvb made too many alterations in the dramas as compared to the original novels. I guess that unless Tvb producers can come up with a fresh decent ancient drama plot or else Tvb screen will stillbe dominating by modern dramas...

Personally I'm a fan of any ancient dramas, be it wuxia, fantasy or historic dramas which we don't get to see in current era. Watching dramas is a passing time leisure, it's nice to put yourself into the 'fake world' rather than seeing 'mirror image' in modern dramas to keep reminding you of reality. :D

so what it comes down to is lack of talent at TVB? No one to written decent stories any more? If they can't remake from a book that Louis Cha wrote then they can't make at all? What a sad conclusion to draw. The ancient dramas of the 80's were the best. Even modern drama's of today can't compare to them. Modern drama's today are all the same whether they are wearing a police uniform, lawyer wig or doctors white coat. The stories they tell are all the same.

so what it comes down to is lack of talent at TVB? No one to written decent stories any more? If they can't remake from a book that Louis Cha wrote then they can't make at all? What a sad conclusion to draw. The ancient dramas of the 80's were the best. Even modern drama's of today can't compare to them. Modern drama's today are all the same whether they are wearing a police uniform, lawyer wig or doctors white coat. The stories they tell are all the same.

yeah..i also prefer acient dramas with those effects...and those people flying around...

1. ancient dramas cost more to produce than modern dramas, with less return, as the majority of the audience favour modern over ancient (so yes, we are a minority).

2. acting in ancient series is very hard work, and alot of the actors and actresses are just not up for it anymore.

3. ancient drama storylines, especially the matial arts ones, require abit more thought in producing one, as it has to make sense with the rest of history (even thought most of tvb doesnt). the more interesting ancient dramas are from novels written by other pple, so this involves copyrights. this is extra cost on top for the production. plus, the most popular stories from - Jing Yong - has restricted TVB in using any of his stories, so they have to look else where, which is a gamble. what's also a gamble is that these novels are usually very long, so they either reduce/change the length/plot of the story (displeases the fans) or shoot the whole thing(too risky now days, if the return is not guranteed).

Yup I am a big fan of ancient drama, be it historical or wuxia!! But most of the good ones that TVB produced back then were adapted from novels and since Jin Yong banned TVB from making any more now.......if only i could understand mandarin better then i can watch some of the mainland ones lol

(don't really like subs)