* Joyce Tang Lai Ming ... Shanrou

* Kwong Wah ... Lian Jin/Lao Ai

* Kwok Fung ... Lü Buwei

* Michelle Saram ... Princess Qian of Zhao

* Eileen Yeow Ying Ying ... Empress Zhu Ji

* Lee Chi Hung ... Zhao Mu

* Suet Lei (II) ... Zhao Ya

Plot WARNING -MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

"A Step into the Past" is TVB's latest release of a period drama based on a novel by Huang Yi. First set in modern day Hong Kong, police agent, Hung Siu Lung (Louis Koo), is transported back into the past, three years before the ascension of the Chun King, who is often erroneously credited with building all of the Great Wall of China. Before I make my comments on this series, I must say that I am a sucker for time travel stories. It always fascinates me to read about or watch stories where the hero travels to a different time period and is landed in an environment or culture that is so unfamiliar to his/her own. I also never read the novel by Huang Yi so I don't have any comparisons to make between the original characters or story to the adaptation. If I had, I would probably critique this unmercifully like a Jin Yong adaptation because I've heard from several sources that it doesn't do much justice to Huang Yi's novel.

With that in mind, a bit on the plot. Hung Siu Lung is part of the Hong Kong G4 Special Police force and is invited to take a trip back in time to witness and take some pictures of the ascension of Chun Chi Wong. In return for participation in this ludicrous-sounding mission, he will be able to use the time portal to return to the time before his girlfriend (Sonjia Kwok Sin Lei) married someone else and have a second chance with her. Hung agrees but something goes wrong during the process and he is instead, transported back to 3 years before the day of the ascension. Trapped in the past, Hung tries to find ways to travel to Hom Yueng, where Ying Jing, the future Chun King, is supposed to be crowned. His first acquaitance is Sin Yau (Joyce Tang Lai Ming), a seemingly cold-hearted assassin. Next up the line, characters like Wu Ting Fong (Jessica Hsuan), Lin Chun (Kong Wah), Siu Sin (Michelle Saram), Chiu Poon (Lam Fung), Chiu Nga (Shuet Lei), and Chiu Mok (Lei Chi Hung) are brought into the picture. Wu Ting Fong verbally spars with Hung Siu Lung every time they see each other and eventually falls in love with him, leaving the cold swordsman, Lin Chun, jealous and hating Hung. Siu Sin is the Chiu State's princess who also falls for Siu Lung. She is forced to marry for politics but is promised by Siu Lung that he would take her away. Chiu Nga is the royal sister of the Chiu King and is a widow bringing up her son, Chiu Poon. She is a pawn for Chiu Mok, a villainous minister, who uses her to seduce men and is known by all as a promiscuous woman.

Edited by sam93940

I thought the series was a bit long and I didn;t really like Raymond's character so much.. I thought Louis Koo was great, although I wish he just ended up with Jessica as they had more chemistry together.

the series was long just like how it should be for other series.. now tvb made the series madd lil n it gets relle stupid at times when they juzz end it!! i dink a step in to the past was a masterpiece!

This was one of my favorite series. Koo Tin Lok was hecka cool in this one and I think this was the first time I saw Raymond Lam. But only Sonjia was pretty, I don't really like Jessica that much.

ya i agree, the series was pretty good in the beginning where louis was talking modern and stuff when he was stuck in the past, but then it started to go downhill after a while. anyways, here's a clip i found on youtube, it's the outakes and its pretty funny. here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKWxyiyfvkk

Well, it was a good and exciting series overall as the backdrop is teh warring states and featured famous people in those times, even as guest stars etc, and it dealt with the rumours of those times with a refreshing touch. Strangely, I found ep 1 in the modern times very boring, but it sparks up when they enter the ancient times. However, teh plot slows down when it focusses solely on romance and whining, but it picks up again at the end for the fight of power.

Jessica was great as the fiesty yet stubborn and sometimes "stupid" girl, who had a lot of chemistry with Louis, but later on, her character got very whiny after the unfortunate incident, and I thought Jess didn';t do so well there. Sonija was very wooden, but it was her first few series so i didn;t expect much from her. But her role wasn't demanding either. Micehlle Saram was terrible, didn;t get why she was casted cos she looked out of place with her foreign complexion. Shirley was good as Ray's mum, probably teh best actress in the whole series, and a terrific performance as the emotionally tortured woman. Joyce didnt; have enough screentime for me to judge, so I am very angry because her role was important too. Eileen Yeow was terrible as Ray's second mum, she looked out of place too with her accent and she doesn;t give that femininity of her character.

Kwong Wah was way over-acting in teh first half, but really settled into the pitiful villian role towards the end, and thank heavens for his change of hairstyle. Louis was so-so in this, but not bad, but not great either, quite overshadowed by other artistes at times. Ray was great as the initially naive and later ambitious boy who became emporer, he really stole teh show. Following close behind for the best acting is Kwok Fung, who played the ruthless and arrogant Lu Bu Wei to perfection.

i enjoyed the guest stars very much, they all did a good job. Special mention to Dreke Kwok for his horseback fight. Loved his character! :)

Its Interesting, i like so much of this movie series .....last episode i was watched is until episode 15....bc they no upload anymore....so sad....:(

i hope he will upload again.......

This serie is quite old but i think it's not bad. i watched in twice before and it was really funny in the beginning but then like some of you have said, it did get a little boring but still interresting to watch.

I lie RAYMOND but i don't really like how his character came out to be someone so...i don't know a word to describe it but i still like him...especially his charater in Eternal Happiness.........you should wtch it if you haven't already.

Anyways, i was able to watch this series twice and still liked it the second time, so this series is quite good. I don't ususally watch things twice unless its really good.=)

In my country this series is the most famous a few years ago till now. Now it is still talked especially Louis Koo and Jessica Hsuan. They have a lot of fans here. Edited by (-Jin-)

I like this serie too. I would recommend it to anyone. However, I find that there are a number of flaws in the plot in the odd place.

One major flaw that doesn't make sense is the language. In 208 BC, the language they speak is not mandarine or cantonese. It is not only the writing that is different but it is totally a different language all together. I think he will have a little bit more problems than just merely not going to read the characters.

Besides that, there are also other plot flaws. Louis at first posted as a high ranking official close to the prime minister of Qin while he was in Chiu. Then later, when he goes back to Qin, the prime minister doesn't even know him. I find that it is a major flaw that wasn't explained anywhere in the plot.

Also, there are many other things in the plot that are not very logical.

But to enjoy the series, you would just have to ignore all that and just watch it at face value.

This is THE BEST series in the world. Haha! Louis Koo's character is so funny, and the way that all the other 'ancient' characters speak just makes the modern guy even funnier. I think I already rewatched this series 3 times, it's THAT good.

Michelle Saram worst actress in the world, even in Meteor Garden II. Everytime I see her on TV I want her to shut up because she's just so annoying. Trying to be all naive but doing a bad job at it.

I think Raymond Lam is the best in this series. He played the character so well, like just starting out as a sweet little boy trying to protect his mother but without the power to help. Then he learns from Louis Koo but he becomes a bad boy :lol: . It's so sad.

I still remember this series when Louis Koo work as a policeman and went back to the past. At first when he went from to the past, he say one funny words which make me remember until now. Until he met one girl he like and in the end, he decided to stay in the past with the girl.

Make me want to watch again.

no good drama are logical. if it is logical, it is not a good drama.

I don't agree with that statement that if a drama is logical it is not a good drama. There are perfectly good drama that are both good and logical. Maybe I shouldn't say logical but the plot has loop holes.

Plot loop holes makes a drama not as enjoyable as it should be because it gives some people a nagging feeling and not throughoutly satisfied. It is like something left hanging in the open. ;)

But I guess the rest of the drama makes up for it so I would still recommend this drama.

the funny part lasts for the first 10 eps, then it became abit serious... u shld read the manga too.....

there is a MANGA for this thing? wowwwww..i nvr knew...but i thought that the ending was hilarious..well, about the part where Xiang Shao Long's son says he wants to be known as Xiang yu...i couldnt control myself..haha..rather ingenious though..^^..

i watched this like alonngggg time ago . but it was pretty interesting. the whole connection between louis and sonija was so weird.. and raymond lam looks sooo different. especially his eyebrows . hhaha

I like the princess (michelle saram)..she's sweet......doesnt she act in anything else? And the series is def worth watching. :D

Edited by jinjin

Really great movie. The beginning part of this series was the best when it's more comedic until it started to get serious. Raymond did an awesome job on playing the King.

i watched this like 4 times.. the whole thi g.. i really liked it and i still remmeber it after so many yrs.. so yueh.. i really liek how its filmed.. and i like sonija in there.. dun miss this series, u'll regret!! haha

lmao im watching this serie on the vietnamese channel

preety good when ur doing your homework! lol

the begining isnt realistic, but during the middle/end it gets good.

btw does anyone know why Louis Koo quit TVB?

great show..watched it many times and still not bored wif it.. louis koo is funny in tis show .. wif his thank u thank u and sorry .. lol raymond acted well for a newcomer in tis show .. LOVIN IT !~

i just love the way how jessica and louis work together so well especially in this movie which talks about the past and present. TVB is so creative in ways to think of weird story lines like that. l absolutly love this serie. :blush: