Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest cici

One smart card through HK and Shenzhen

9 posts in this topic

One smart card through HK and Shenzhen

source: wenweipo

translated by cici@Asianeu

shopping in Hong Kong and Shenzhen will be convenient with one Octopus card.

hk0527a2.jpg

As cross-border tourist number increases, spending increases, which leads to Hong Kong Octopus card company to collaborate with ShenzhenTong for a "one card two wallets" smart card project that is expected to come out at the end of this year. The new smart card consumers will have account with Octopus and Shenzhentong. When consumers spend in HK, money will be deducted in HK money and similarly money will be deducted in RMB when consumers spend in Shenzhen with no automatic "add value" feature, such that cardholders will have to check HK dollars balance and add HK money in Hong Kong, same with cardholders adding value in RMB money and checking balance in Shenzhen. Since this smart card is not issued as a personal smart card, which means no personal data will be stored and with two separate accounts, there exists no privacy infringement or exchange rates problem.

Octopus Card Company Chief Executive Officer said yesterday that this smart card will continue to be update as card is issued. Under a signed agreement with Shenzhen Tong, both companies have reached a consensus on smart card's design and name. Octopus Card Company will continue to use current sales and value-added point for this card and existing discount still valid with specific operational details still being finalized. As the data not transferrable to each account, when cardholders met with trading system or money deduction problem, cardholders need to seek help with related smart card companies and both Octopus Card and Shenzhen Tong have agreed to list out both companies customer service hotline on the card, but as it will involve technology, operation matters, Octopus Card still needs to study with ShenzhenTong on "one-stop" services.

Both companies are still studying data regarding consumers market, but market will most likely target frequent travelers from Hong Kong to Shenzhen. The two companies are still under negotiation for details on issuing volume, RMB and HK initial deposits, processing errors, selling or leasing card for consumers use. The first phase of the new smart card will apply to public transportation and retail spending.

Currently, Octopus card holders can use card in 11 Hong Kong-owned fast food restaurants and 4 designated duty-free stores at Shenzhen with the automatic value-added services made available, but cardholders can not add value with cash and the exchange rate is determined by the individual merchants. On the other hand, Shenzhentong Card is issued by the card issuing units and is an electronic toll system by a contactless smart IC card which is an electronic stored value wallet. Shenzhentong Card and related products began operation in 2004 and has already issued more than seven million cards.

Edited by cici

Hong Kong Octopus card is so efficient and now they come up with more smart ideas. Unlike UK, because of cost and some not so forward thinking politicians, ID card initiative is scrapped, what a shame. No wonder UK's economy is in such a state.

this will make the life of passenger easier since one ticket for the whole journey..

It's a good thing but their seem to be some issues that they will have to deal with to make sure it runs smoothly.

It sounds like a nice start but still in need of more quality improvement for things to run more efficiently especially consumer control side of thing.

this sound great. it will be more convenient to people who need to commute between hong kong and shenzhen

oh goody! i hope that it'll be come prevalent cause i'm already not familiar with chinese money, and i always have to worry about counterfeits as well, so i'd prefer to just swipe! plus as a tourist, its just better to not carry so much cash about!

My train and transportation system started using smart fare cards and not many people use them, I think some still like the traditional tickets. That is why america is a slow country. Good idea to use that in HOng Kong, but I will not go to Shenzhen anyway.

what a good move!!!! even though i seldom go to shenzhen, still feel glad to see this.