Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest cici

MTR fare increase, Octopus fare to be higher than one-way ticket

21 posts in this topic

MTR fare increase, Octopus fare to be higher than one-way ticket

source: takungpao

translated by cici@Asianeu

in the future to take the MTR, Octopus fare could be more expensive than a one way ticket

GW-11.jpg

MTR will implement fare increase starting on the 13th of next month, and for the first time rides taken with an Octopus card could be more expensive than a one-way MTR ticket. MTR spokesperson said about 10 percent of citizens would not be affected from price increase, but 73 percent of passengers would pay 10 to 20 cents more per trip, 12 percent passengers would pay 30 cents more, and 50 percent of passengers would pay 40 to seventy cents more, which meant a total of 3.6 million passengers will be affected by the tariff since future fare per trip is 10 to seventy cents more than current fare with an average increase of 2.05 percent and the highest rate of increase reaches as high as 8.7 percent. Spokesperson indicated that fare will be affected by different trips, which meant not all trip would be affected. She said that in order to maintain market competitiveness, fare will remain unchanged for south of Tai Wai Station (including the West Rail Line and the Tung Chung Line) to Hong Kong from Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau railway station. Currently, a trip from Tsuen Wan to Jordan with an Octopus card or a one-day ticket both cost 7 dollars and 50 cents, but would cost 7 dollars and 70 cents with a Octopus card under the new fare policy while the one-way ticket cost would remain the same. As a result, using Octopus card with this trip would be 20 cents more expensive than a one-way ticket, same with trip from Ma On Shan to Hung Hom. On MTR decision, one Chairman of the Legislative Council Panel on Transport was disappointed criticizing MTR for not taking citizens affordability into account and another analyst criticized MTR for retracting from initial intention to encourage citizens of using electronic currency.

Edited by cici

I didnt know Hong Kong still use cent. You cant even buy anything for a dollar there.

a few cents hikes is acceptable and beside it only affect those octopus user.Although it will cost more than a one-way ticket.people will still use the octopus because it is fast and convenient.

wow haha TTC here increased to 3$....cash, suks even more here

Just different of few cents it's OK, but normally using Octopus card should be cheaper because they made more economy without ticket

I think there was a translation error, the 2 cents more expensive meant 20 cents more expensive

e.g. Tsuen Wan to Jordan used to cost 7.50 is now 7.70

apparently they have a rule of thumb to only change the MTR tickets every 50cents (so that people won't be fiddling with small change when they buy a ticket), but since the a lot of the fare increase is less than that, most the MTR tickets haven't had a price hike.

But since Octopus cards are electronic, people who use them will get the price hike.

I suppose they thought most of their customers used octopus cards anyways.

People don't need to be encourage to use Octopus card anymore - it's already so popular because of the time saved and you can change your mind about which station you're traveling to anytime you want. It doesn't sound all that unreasonable to have to pay a small premium for this convenience. If you really want to save then spend the time to buy a ticket.

Edited by nganstephen

I think there was a translation error, the 2 cents more expensive meant 20 cents more expensive

e.g. Tsuen Wan to Jordan used to cost 7.50 is now 7.70

apparently they have a rule of thumb to only change the MTR tickets every 50cents (so that people won't be fiddling with small change when they buy a ticket), but since the a lot of the fare increase is less than that, most the MTR tickets haven't had a price hike.

But since Octopus cards are electronic, people who use them will get the price hike.

I suppose they thought most of their customers used octopus cards anyways.

People don't need to be encourage to use Octopus card anymore - it's already so popular because of the time saved and you can change your mind about which station you're traveling to anytime you want. It doesn't sound all that unreasonable to have to pay a small premium for this convenience. If you really want to save then spend the time to buy a ticket.

haha, didn't realize that, thank you

This is really sad to hear. This only hurts the poor who can barely make it by on rides.

Where I live, they are have also increased their fair. I guess with a bad economy and companies in debt/lacking funds, they have to do the inevitable.

Octopus supposed to be the win-win situation. MTR saved "printed" tickets and people save money. Now they made it a winwin-lose situation. The winner of course is MTR, saved and make more money. Normal people is winlose (maintain the convenient of octopus but have to pay for it) . SAD.

Octopus card is so convenience, I suppose the fare increase is not too bad, increased in cents not dollars, it could have been worse.

hike in MTR fares is abit confusing where using the card is more expensive..but it is not too much..still ok

For someone that doesn't live in HK, but I took the MTR there when I was on vacation, it can be confusing with the different prices. And the fare hike is going everywhere.

In the name of being competitive we will increase the fare. This sound like a statement from a monopoly corporation..

The octopus card is very convenience and would reduce paper usage and also reduce garbages. That's too bad that it increase in price.

who cares about a few cents, yeah so what if they add up in the end, it is so convenient and more green than getting tickets

Using the Octopus card is really simple and fast, they even offer wrist watch Octopus. The fare hike isn't that much whch is good because they know everybody in Hong Kong uses that especially the MTR. Raise a little to generate more money for the economy, citizens should be okay with it.

If using Octopus card is cheaper, what is the point? It does not make sense

what the purpose the have octopus card if it's even more expensive than the one way ticket.

no kidding about hong kongs transportation fee is expensive..think i at least spent 500 us dollars a month when iam hong kong

transportation is a big part of everyone's budget in hk , raise just a little is never good news. especially something as convenient as the octo card

its not more expensive to use the octopus card for every trip, just a select few. although its odd that they cant just change the price to fix the discrepancy, they made some excuse that it takes a long time to fix them.