Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edwinerrr

80% Kwun Tong students in favour of drugs testing

10 posts in this topic

Source: mingpao

translated by: edwinerrr@asianeu

The Boys' and Girls' Clubs Association of Hong Kong surveyed 10 secondary schools in Kwun Tong with a questionnaire format. The 3200 participants were form 1 to form 3 students.

It was found that 80% of secondary school students of the Kwun Tong district were in favour of drug testing in schools, if there was reason to suspect drugs usage. The students felt that testing would be beneficial in distinguishing students with drug problems and also in the prevention of drugs in schools. However, near 70% of the students were worried of the prejudice they might receive from other classmates if they were selected for testing. It was felt that it would be an intrusion of privacy and it could damage relationships between classmates. The survey also found that 1.4% of the students admit to using drugs in the past 6 months.

A group leader from the Boys' and Girls' Clubs Association of Hong Kong reckons that drugs testing invades personal privacy and would cause embarrassment and shame amongst students. He suggests that privacy protection measures should be set and confidentiality should be kept to prevent labelling of students. The association suggests that the Hong Kong government should carry out drugs testing at random times and locations, or even after school or during school holidays.

Edited by edwinerrr

it makes sense that privacy would be an issue.... hong kong school environment is like that... students are very judgmental and those chosen for testing would be scrutinized easily....

dammmm this is crazyy. but i think it is necessary for this testing and important!

having to tackle the drug problem at school and respecting the privacy of student. the government needs to handle this carefully.

thats is bad from the report given..hope the government can curb the drug abuse among student

i agree to drug testing. the way i see it, if u dont have anything to hide...then who cares if ur asked to get tested. if you are a drug user - at least this could be a possible reality check that hey, u can't hide it from people....and one of many first steps to receive the help and attention needed.

the worry of students being judged or critized? since when are HK people not judgemental to any sorts of people in general. like that is even a concern. i'd agree not all are like that...but the majority are.

I am glad the student agreed to drug testing, if there is nothing to hide, there is no problem, it may well be a deterrent to start with.

I'd think high school students would know how to deal with gossiping by now.

It'd not that they'd announced the results out, so I don't see a problem

But I bet some parents might complain if their kid's school gets tested more often than others, and go off about the school's reputation and so forth, but they shouldn't let that stop the test

It is a good idea.I suppose the suggestion needs not the permittion fron parents.

just test everybody and get it done. It could be throughout the year, doen'st have to be everyone at the same time...