Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest cici

Cantonese opera is successfully proclamed as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity

6 posts in this topic

Cantonese opera is successfully proclamed as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity

source: takungpao

translated by cici@Asianeu

Cantonese opera became the first cultural art from Hong Kong to be proclamed as a Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity

090746_gw-61.jpg

Cantonese opera, also known as "Guangdong opera," has been successfully proclamed as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations, even more so it is the first proclamed masterpiece from Hong Kong. Government spokesman said that the success of proclamation shows the recognition and support of Cantonese opera by the United Nations, and The Government will strengthen the future research and promotion of Cantonese opera by working with Mainland China, Canton to develop programs to further the preservation and promotion development so that the general public and younger generation can develop a better understanding and access to opera in order to pass on this local art as a heritage/culture. These measure includes continuous study of opera history and genre, strengthen promotion and popularization of opera through performances and education. In addition, the Government will promote this cultural heritage through international cultural exchange to foreign countries.

Liza Wang as the chairman of Chinese Artist Association of Hong Kong welcomes this news. Now that the cultural value and status of Cantonese opera has been affirmed, the Chinese Artist Association of Hong Kong believes the government shall have to actively seek a permanent venue for opera performance and increase facilities for training of Cantonese opera actors.

Edited by cici

Congratulations the sponsors & organisers for the recognition from UN. I like Cantonese opera myself even though I sometimes cannot undestand what they are singing about. I say that it is not an easy art to perform.

with the history behind the Cantonese opera, it is worth preserving it and recognition from UN will surely help.

I heard that there is less and less people joining these types of Chinese opera

I am not a keen Chinese opera fan, I don't understand the words and the tune is too sharp for me . But congratulations anyway

I'm used to be a fan of opera when I was young though it was performed in Hokkien, Teo Chew & Cantonese dialects. It's one of the precious 'treasure' remaining in the history of Chinese people hence it's worthly of the honor. Congratulations!