Followers 0
Guest cici

More than 60,000 elderly millionaires in Hong Kong

14 posts in this topic

More than 60,000 elderly millionaires in Hong Kong

source: takungpao

translated by cici@Asianeu

gw-84.jpg

Census and Statistics Department issued a No. 40th Thematic Household Survey Report on elderly's social and demographic conditions, health status and self-care ability. Reported data shows that in 2008 in Hong Kong, there's nearly 1.2 million people over the age of 60, compared with an increase of nearly 150,000 people four years ago. It is particularly worth mentioning that the value of assets owned by the elderly is also in an increasing trend because more than 60,000 people joined the rank of "millionaire", that is, the number of elderly holding equities, bonds and funds is 87600 people, which is an increase of more than 24 percent from 4 years ago of 66200 live-at-home-elders.

Also, the health status of the elderly seem to have improved. There is about 70 percent of elderly living at home said they have regular exercise, of which 72 percent exercise every day; about half of the elderly living at home population eat a fruit on daily average and about 80 percent of elderly living at home eat half a bowl or more of vegetables daily.

However, since the survey is conducted during June to August last year, and should therefore not reflect the impact of Lehman incident on the elderly's asset value.

Edited by cici

million of hk dollar is not a big deal, if u won a property, u have more than that already

if my family converts cnd to hkd then we'll be millionaires too.

with the high property price in there, anyone who own a property is a millionaire

With last year's Lehman incident, I believe many millionaires have suffered paper losses though much of the value will be recover by this quarter. HKD might be small but a million HKD is still consider quite a sum of money to many people in the world and it's not easy to earn this sum of money in short time.

If it's in HKD than there should be a lot of millionaires in HK, plus those who have a good property are already rich cause we all know how expensive it is to live there and how crazy the real-state is in HK even if we don't live there.

Yeah I agree...I mllion HKD isn't very much but hey it not THAT little either, at least health rates are up

WAHHH so many rich old people, no wonder we are in recession they aren't using it.

People are living longer and with wise investments, they become millionaires. I wish I was one. :(

I am not surprised there are so many millionaires in HK. In fact HK is full of rich people. I am sure we have millionaires old people as well as young millionaires too.

is this why there are a lot of Mercedes Benz in Hong Kong?

When u r old, being rich means nothing. I want to be rich when i'm young lolz

is that true..is a big sum of people..if so is something strange..heeh

they have worked all their life.....

plus, in HKD, so might seem more than other places