Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest boo

Queen's Pier to be relocated to the waterfront

10 posts in this topic

Queen's Pier to be relocated to the waterfront

source: http://the-sun.on.cc

translator: boo

After a number of disputes, the government yesterday officially rejected the in-situ replacement of Queen's Pier project. The Development Bureau Chief, Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet Ngor, disregarded the report from the team of experts, who are part of the Harbour-front Enhancement Committee. Instead she considered the mainstream view of the public, which was to move the pier to the waterfront in order to preserve its functionality as a pier. On top of this the 3rd phase of the land reclamation at Central (Chung Wan) is nearing completion. With the next stage of the project commencing soon, it has been decided that they are to place Queen's Pier near the International Finance Centre (IFC), in between the waterfront of pier 9 and 10. Carrie Lam had the final word and said that unless her decision is subject to legal dispute or ruled out by the government, the decision of placing Queen's Pier at the waterfront will be carried out.

A group of members from the committee have criticised Carrie's decision as illogical and contrary to the principle of conservation. A local group, who have continually fought for the in-situ replacement of Queen's Pier, indicated that even if the pier is placed at the waterfront to retain its functionality as a pier, it will lose its historical significance. They will meet again at a later date to discuss a solution.

0818-00407-034b2.jpg

*Picture of Queen's Pier

0818-00407-034b3.jpg

*Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet Ngor decides to have the Queen's Pier placed at the waterfront, regaining its use as a pier.

Yesterday, the Harbour-front Enhancement Committee were discussing the report made by the Task Group on Urban Design Study for the New Central Harbour-front (TGUDS). The members of the committee all had different opinions on the replacement of Queen's Pier, with the majority of the unofficial members supporting the motion of replacing Queen's Pier back at its original location. Furthermore, they proposed to add a triangular pool or lake after replacing the pier which will complement the landscape of the pier and the activity space around it, with the added possibility of increasing the amount of activity of the pier. However, the rest of the members wanted to move the pier to the waterfront.

Members accuse them of contradicting the principle of preservation

Carrie pointed out that the overall opinion of the Task Group and the result of the public consultation were completely different. In order to respond to the voice of the public, she decided to place Queen's Pier in Central, between piers 9 and 10. She then revealed that 2 years of consultation had been spent on this matter and that currently the Central land reclamation was quickly nearing completion. With the commencement of the new P2 main road project in Central next year, the next stage of the works would be set into motion.

A member of the committee, Paul Zimmerman, promptly refuted the claims that Queen's Pier should be preserved only for its historical significance, rather than it's distinct architectural features, and that if it is not to be reinstated at its original site then it contradicts the principle of preservation. Another member, Ng Mee Kam, believes that at the time of the public consultation the proposal of the triangular pool was not made, so basing the decision on the results of the consultation is illogical and unreasonable. She requests that further consultations should be made for the new proposals made by the Task Group.

However, Carrie Lam reiterated that the consultation had already been prolonged by an extra year and that it would not be possible to prolong it again. Otherwise the public will blame them for taking too long and will reject another consultation, despite the fact that the new proposals will not have been announced.

Carrie Lam only accepted the suggestions to place the clock tower of Star Ferry Pier back onto its original location and adding cycle paths to the waterfront area up to the start of the no.2 route, which leads to the Public Transport Interchange. She then said that she would also consider not accepting a single bid for Mody Mall and also to reduce the building height of the 2nd phase of the International Finance Centre.

0818-00407-034b1.jpg

* The government decides to place Queen's Pier in between pier 9 and 10.

Edited by boo

It's important that they preserve some of these places in HK, it's part of the history, and moving it to somewhere else isn't the same. Wonder if money is the issue as it usually is.

Nah I think that, more than anything, it's just a conflict of opinion this time. The Task Group want it back at where it used to be and the public want it in between pier 9 and 10...either way it'll be a welcome return of Queen's Pier for me.

I honestly think it'll be better in its original place...but then again, that's just me wanting to preserve the historics...I like knowing and visiting there when I go back to HK...but if it's more convenient for HKers by IFC...then I guess that's the better choice.

I think more things need to be preserved in HK, eg the Cantonese culture.......

wow now thats a interesting turn out. What is going to be diffrent about it ? is there ships going to be there ??

wow now thats a interesting turn out. What is going to be diffrent about it ? is there ships going to be there ??

Yeh if they do place it between pier 9 and 10 then yeh it's gonna be used as a pier, we'll I'm guessing that's what it'll be for.

At least it is being replaced but not demolished. Queen's Pier is one of the landmark in HK, don't want it to disappear.

so many news in hk.... a small city with a lot of drama

At least it is being replaced but not demolished. Queen's Pier is one of the landmark in HK, don't want it to disappear.

Agreed with this post!