Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest cici

Students with disability achieve excellent scores in difficult HKCEE

4 posts in this topic

Students with disability achieve excellent scores in difficult HKCEE

source: takungpao

translated by cici@Asianeu

To get 9As or 10As in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination is not easy at all, but this year, many students with physical disability earn excellent results, getting 7As to 9As. They receive praise from the Secretary-General of HKEAA referring them as "pay more effort than average students".

Although suffering from hearing problem, Wong Yee-Kiu still obtains nine As and 1B success. She is determined to become a doctor to help those in need

gw-11.jpg

17 years old Wong Yee-Kiu is a student of St. Paul's Convent School. Looking pleasant and like many girls of her age, no one could associate her with disability. Yet, Wong Yee-Kiu's left ear is almost deaf with only 10 to 20 percent hearing because of suffering fever when she's young. "The first time I realize to have a hearing problem is at 7 to 8 years old. At that time, I suddenly feel akward and unhappy. I was so young that I didn't know how to deal with it.", fortunately, she has caring parents. Yee-Kiu's parents searched for remedy but regrettably they had to face the ultimate truth that Yee-Kiu's disability could not be cured. Yee-Kiu's dad says, "We support her to overcome all challenges, avoid labeling her physical disability. We do not increase our home phone's volume just because of her.". Her parents often share interesting stories and joke with her, they even drive her and pick her up by car during exams.

Because of hearing impairment, learning is a major obstacle, but Yee-Kiu's teacher and students did not discriminate her, instead they tried to accomodate her such as having Yee-Kiu sitting in the first front or classmates standing on her right side to talk to her or helping her when she missed classes. Her impairment did not stop her from getting an excellent grade earning 9As, 1B. She takes HKCEE only with one right ear, and earn all As in English, Mandarin oral while earning B in Chinese oral. For preparation, she says, "I review history testing topics repeatedlly, take notes, figure out the emphasis. The important thing is paying attention and be careful." She also doesn't think she's better than others, "just be myself, keep my standard. I only need special arrangement in oral, I take all my examinations in written form just like others." To other students with disability, She encourages them, "We carve our own paths. No matter what obstacle, one can overcome it as long as one tries hard." Her unfortunate impairment prompts her to become a doctor who hopes to serve those in need because she has personally experienced helplessness as a patient, thus she has memorable comprehension of patient's feelings. She wants to cure patient's physical and mental health. Doctors selfless acts during SARS period in Hong Kong is also another important reason for her to serve her community. "My pediatric doctor encouraged me that our environement will not change due to us, instead he encouraged me to adapt to the environment supporting my personal growth.". Yee-Kiu's dad also says, "Yee-Kiu is a tough girl, she has overcomed many obstacles and can live a normal life."

Siu Chi happy to receive excellent grades, proving her effort is not wasted

gw-12.jpg

Siu Chi, born of muscular dystrophy, studies at Hong Kong Red Cross Princess Alexandra School earning 18 points on HKCEE, that is, the highest grade received in the entire school. Due to muscular dystrophy, her health is never stable, and her condition will gradually deteriorate as well. She does homework and writes slower than others, "I will try my best even having excessive homework, once I got sick due to spending all night completing a report." She says earning good grades shows that her effort did not go wasted. Her wish is to become an accountant, and she hopes to get into Chinese University Accounting Discipline through JUPAS 2 years later. Siu Chi encourages current HKCEE students, "Even earning poor HKCEE grades, you can still find a good way out as long as you have a goal and focus on the direction of your goal."

Lai's mom is happy with son's exam result despite son getting zero. She says her son likes to acquire current events from newspapers and tv

gw-14.jpg

Unlike two exemplary students, Lai Ka-Chun not only gets "F" in math, but receives 'no evaluation' for other subjects, receiving a zero grade for his HKCEE, yet, he is not upset, instead he quickly puts on his usual smile on his face.

Due to asphyxia in brain, Lai Ka-Chun suffers brain paralysis since birth. Because of brain paralysis, Lai Ka-Chun suffers recurrent cramps, syncope, and having cold with fever is as pervasive as it occurs almost daily, to which he almost lost his life when his fever rised to 103 degrees during swine flu. Lai Ka-chun never give up despite having atrophy in legs, thus not having enough strength to support body or hands spasm that he can't write Chinese words in complicated strokes, thus using computer to write. However, he can quickly work out an arithmetic problem by heart. Because it takes a long time for him to input the answer into the computer, he didn't have time to finish his exam, and that's how he got zero on HKCEE. Yet, he is not frustrated, instead taking the initiative to chat with teacher and classmates, and even encourage those students who didn't do well in HKCEE.

wow such an amazing thing receiving 9 A's ":D .. dont remember me reviving 9 A's well anyways they've got what it takes xd :D

inspiring! well, these are students whom had proven that disabilities is not an obstacles at all, but only to those whom can take the disabilities well. not all are so fortunate, some may juz need to get along with the disabilities and then left to suffer due to the society.

such a good news. Keep up guides, you can do it. You are the sample of so many "normal " students.