17 posts in this topic

Video games as anethesia saves the boy's foot

source: sun

translated by cici@Asianeu

A piece of heavy equipment fell on boy's foot, boy weeping

0714-00407-026b1.jpg

firefighters distracted boy with a video game

0714-00407-026b2.jpg

A seven-years-old boy got his foot stumped by a piece of heavy equipment in King Estate's fitness field in Tuen Mun yesterday. When firefighters resuced him, he would cry out loud even from a slight touch thinking the firefighters wanting to saw off his foot. Thus, firefighters persuaded him to play his video game as a 'tranquilizer' to distract his attention. While weeping and playing, firefighters saw off the metal bar to free him.

Boy's last name was Nip (seven years old). At four o'clock yesterday afternoon, Nip and his companions played in the fitness field outside of Tin Yue House when Nip tumbled from a "two persons skater board" with right leg trapped between pedal and floor mat, to which he cried 'painful'. Later, Firefighters arrived wanting to raise the pedal with a hydraulic jack, but Nip kept screaming in pain and 'help' so firefighters felt helpless. Then, firefighters decided to use a hydraulic saw to cut the bar loose, therefore suggesting to Nip to take out his video game to play so that they could distract Nip's attention. Yet, Nip thought the firefighters wanting to saw off his foot when he overheard the firefighters discussing where they'd initiate sawing, so he screamed out loud asking 'don't'. Firefighters had to explain patiently to Nip before Nip cooperate to play his video games while weeping at the same time crying painful which looked amusing to onlookers. Firefighters spent 15 mins to saw off the bar, and the boy was sent to the hospital by ambulance crew.

this news goes well with burning flames 3 lol. but seriously mad props to firefigthers

The boy must be shocked by the sudden accident, plus seeing a saw so near to him even more scarier... I think even if it's an adult who get into this situation might have the same outcome as the little boy. XD

Aww...poor kid. Thank god for video game, LOL. That child must be very frightened. Wonder if his parents were around too. This news certainly reminded me of Burning Flame too. Hopefully the boy's leg had no long term effect on his physical outcome.

his foot looks realy bent in the piture lol..

maybe it:s just me

but mad props to the firefighters!

the second picture is funny cuz it seems like the boy didn't enjoy playing the game at all. lol

thats crazy !! then again kids love games thank goodness hes okay

haha yeh imagine this in burning flame 3 lol, so was it bosco or won he or kevin who saved the boy? lol

lmao. hahaha thats awesome. maybe doctors should think of doing some of that instead of making us unconscious -3-

aww poor kid but hes a brave lil guy

lol i dont think i would be able to still play under such a scary and painful situation

lol, judging from the picture, it look like he was playing a game in the phone. However, the title of this post is not really correct, its not really as a anethesia but more like a distraction while they cut off the bar.

Wow, It's awesome how they save the boy. The boy very poor thing.

oh gosh feel sorry for the poor boy such painful experience.

wow, now i can tell people that games aren't all that bad. Such a great story to tell people.

wow even a addicted gamers like me cant uses videos games as anethesia...... this is incredible

This actually was proven. It was said in the news a while back that patients who watched a funny show / their favorite series/movie during surgery tend to recover faster and feel less pain during the process. The patients don't have to undergo the negative effects of the anesthetic, which contributes to their healing.

I would rather go with the anesthetic, though.

i knew playing games was good for something! +D hooray for video games and its healing abilities... now time to head back into WoW =D