Followers 0
Guest cici

white champaca fragrance in Central

8 posts in this topic

white champaca fragrance in Central

source: takungpao

translated by cici@Asianeu

GW-44.jpg

Walking Through Entertainment Buildings in Central, one can smell the fresh, clean, floral fragrance from white champaca. Old man Chan, 83 years old, always carrying a small basket of white champaca and jasmine, Turning Left, and Right walking by, but he does not shout nor pester when selling, instead only attracts customers with the flowers.

He grows the white champaca in his land in Tai Po, where small packets pricing at 5 dollars, and bigger package pricing at ten-dollars; Jasmine is ten-dollars for a pack. Perhaps they are induced by White champaca's fragrant or they can not bear to see the old man suffering under sunlight and rain, the white collars, even if they are rushing by, would pull out a 10 or 20 dollars to buy some flowers.

Old man Chan has been selling flowers in Central for decades, and there's a touching story behind the floral fragrance. The back story was that Chan had been selling flowers for many years, earning 3000 dollars per month to support himself, and he had refused to apply for CSSA because he wanted to be self-reliant. Five years ago, FEDH charged him with selling on the street without a license, and it elicited a huge social reaction, including Members of the Legislative Council offered to help Old Man Chan. Finally, the Attorney General did not prosecute Old Man Chan and withdrew the charges the following day, to which Old Man Chan returned to Central to sell flowers immediately the next day.

Today, this reporter encounters Old Man Chan again, and bought a bag of jasmine, and buying flowers from Chan is one's support and respect to him.

Mr Chan is worthy of praise, inspite of his age he eanring his keeps. He can put many others who beg in the streets to shame. I wish him well may good health be with always.

wow....i def. agree with wkho. and he doesn't do anything that may cause the people walking by feel awkward or scared of. he isn't dependent on the government to take care of him....he depend on himself...there should be more people like him out there

yeh he's a good fellow...sure selling on the streets is prohibited but the law does have some discretion....the prohibition should not be to stop people like Old Man Chan from earning an honest living

Yes, good on him.

and isn't it a nice change, selling some simple flowers,

in contrast to those overpriced big-brand shops around central

People like him are always a great inspiration to us all, his flowers are cheap too, I'll buy some. It's a smart thing those idiots in the gov't didn't charge him or they'll get flame by the public.

Mr Chan seems like such a nice man. He is definitely a great role model for others!

I wish him all the luck

Mr. Chan is THE MAN. I am looking up to him because he doesn't need any help and he can support himself without other people doing it for him but i think he should check the doctors once in a while because there is pesticide in the soil and got to check if he's healthy :D.