Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aZnangel

Overused: main lead is adopted/ hates one of their parents for cheating/leaving them!

25 posts in this topic

I've watch TVB series growing up like many of you. I just happened to noticed that in almost all of the series, especially in the more recent ones, there's always some long lost mom, dad, brother or sister that the character doesn't know about and that they were actually not the biological child of their parents! Either that or the character does have a mother or father that they knew about, but because in the past the father cheated on the mother or vice versa that the character hates them, or they left the family. (ex: something like Just Love II, except JLII was a little too extreme on the relationships) Anyway, I think the idea is too overused now.

The story always goes like, the character hates their mother/father for cheating, leaving the family and sometimes because they were gamble addicts. After years and the character grew up, the mother/father comes back, is miserable and feels guilty, the character of course hates them and then finally after all the mother/father does to repay them. The character and parents reconcile. <-- always like that! It's so overdone that there's no new excitement to that. I'm always just like "oh again, long last mom right?" "he's not the real son."

Haha, just something i noticed. What do you think?

yeah, tvb always does that, long last mom or dad meeeting up with their real child, esp. just love 2, way too dragging about it, haha, tvb overuses it so much!!

yeh i agree they do it in the same way so many times they should like maybe change it around a bit or something if they could like put something different and makin the outcome more surprising then allowing ppl to be able to guess the outcome of the relationship so easily

Haha this is so true. If they didnt grow up with parents, they seek for their parents if they are not deceased and get reunited or find out they are dead.

Edited by 48minutes

i agree too..they are repeating always.. mostly ending the same.. might b the same writter ya.. haha

I sooo agree with you :P they use it way too much.

& theres not a single family in a tvb series, where the entire family is safe & sound at the end.

most dies or or runs away or or are evil D: BLAHLA

Yeah, I've been bothered by this element that keeps showing up in every series too! It almost feels like there is this agenda to "teach" family values. Can't they just leave this lost/begrudged parent-child relationship OUT of a series for once???

On the other hand if they start talking about "alternative" family relationships, I'm sure there will be a lot of people calling to complain to the tv moderation board. There are always people who complain whenever they see something out of the ordinary that they don't like....

can do to improve just like how american movies are doing remakes. TVB needs something radical that people will still want to watch. Any suggestions on that area rather then just criticize them for their lack of idea.

AGREE! but thn i dunt dik burning fflame is like dat though

agree. TVB is overuse those, still it's interesting to watch it.:)

Hmm...i guess they do! ... they probably want kids to like parents more...

ya i very agree of what all you say...tvb really overuse of it...

definitely. this is not the only overused plots in tvb. sometimes it seems like the scrpitwriters just have a list of established plots and they pick and choose some stories, put new characters and make the series. some series are so predictable i know exactly what's going to happen next. it's as if i wrote the script myself.

that's becoz u have watched way too much tvb series!

i feel the same. my excitement comes from knowing wat will happend in the storyline and waiting ages for that event to happen.

Yes, I agree. That's the TVB themes - always on the same kind of family relationships. The writers at TVB need to come out with some new ideas.

I so agreee...one thing i've noticed is especially in anicent series: the parents have a few kids and if the father dies..the oldest son will always, always look like the father...where they can actually look like twins...its kinda of ridiculouss..don't think you....perfect example..fistful of stances..but i know ppl will find more exampless...cuz TVB loves doing that..

actually didn't notice that.............

u've got a good point......... TVB are losing ideas.........

might go and watch ATV instead....HAHA LOL.....

They are running out of ideas. thats why older tvb series are better than the new ones. Its basically the same stuff over and over again.

yeah its so funny how so there can be so many long lost family members that can find each other after 20 years, how is that even possible? and how could one not know if their parents are their real parents?

every day i watch tvb. it's a part of my life. i love tvb very much.