Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tvbwhy

TVB Series lack originality

312 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Been a fan of tvb series since I was a kid growing up. However, is it me or do you guys feel that TVB is lacking originality in their series. The story lines are getting bland and lack creativity. Instead of offering new series, they come up with sequels to series.

I have started to watch Korean series which I feel are refreshing and offer unique story lines.

It's true TVB needs more drama and originality because we can almost predict the endings or else their endings are just bad. But overall, TVB actors are prettyy gOod! =D

Yes I can think of a couple of them with stories that are very close to others.

Safe Guard

Rosy Business (though acted very good)

King of Yesterday , etc

Me too, i preferred TVB movie, very warm and touching story..

yea i feel like ive watched some before...nonetheless some are really good

I think so are but TVB shows still the best out there

I agree. Sometimes they spend way too much time developing the story and seem to rush everything towards the end.

yes, especially those series like "The Seventh Day", "Speech of Silence", etc... they are all so cheesy and melodramatic... I just couldn't watch both series... utter waste of time.

lol, i think TVB has alot of variety compared to korena dramas...

TVB dramas are pretty unique in its own way. Not all of them were the same or a rip off of some other exisiting show.

I think one of the thing I notice that is lacking from the tvb series now is that the lacking of the chemistry between the characters, I mean when you compare the "friendship" between the characters in File of Justice to any series now. They are so funny and charming to watch while nowaday, they want to be so professional that its boring to watch them "ACT"

it's not just tvb..its everywhere...there's sequel any drama/movie that become popular.

look at american movies..all those action movies are pretty much the same thing...and then we have the super heroes.

american super hero movies = chinese stories like condor heroes

at least with tvb, they try to promote many careers...korean dramas dont have a lot of that...japanese dramas are beginning to have more, but mainly concentrating on medical and crime solving ones

ya i agreeee... not much good movie these day other than rosie business... oh well... hoping they can produce better ones like RB...

totally agree...some plots are so similar and repeats in different drama...but nonetheless i still enjoy those drama

It does looks almost all the same, but there is still some different sometimes, I watch almost all sort of asian dramas ghehe Japanese Korean Taiwanese HK, and I think Taiwanese Drama's are the best, those peoples are so funny and entertaining, but beside that I still watch TVB series everyday haha and if i have time Korean and Japanese.

drama addiction xD

true, but i will always love tvb!!!!! its actually kind of interesting no matter the series......

Out of all the asian dramas, i find that japanese dramas to be the most original with different plots and stories. While i haven't watched a lot of korean dramas, their stories are more comedic and dramatic than most tvb series. I would have to put tvb 3rd out of all the different asian dramas that i've watch probably because it's quite bland and like most people already said, plot/story repeat of an older series.

I agree with you on that TVB is lacking originality in their series, especially with their Ancient Times Series. I prefer to watch the Modern Times series as they are something I can relate to even if they are not as good when compared to the series from the past.

i agree it seems like they are repeating storylines. but i still think that tvb is very interesting no matter how non-original it is because it's different people and SOMEWHAT different storyline. idk if i make sense but that's how i feel

The one thing that TVB really has to work on is their endings! I feel like all of them are so forced and end so abruptly. They don't bring any closure to the audience. It's like the audience is all excited throughout the series and when the series is over, they go "Wah! That's it!?"

I guess TVB does copy from other movies, but I think that happens to all different production companies.

TVB's "To Get Unstuck in Time" is copied from the American movie "Frequency." And the series with Myolie Wu as a fat girl is supposed to be like "Bridget Jone's Diary" and the Korean drama "My Name is Kim Sam Soon"

ANOTHER THING!

HOW MANY MORE TIMES CAN THEY USE THE WHOLE COUPLE FALLING IN LOVE BECAUSE THE GIRL IS WIPING THE GUY'S FACE WITH A TISSUE OR PUTTING A BAND-AID ON HIM?!

i agree, they either make sequals or copy other storyline from another country or the use the same old storyline over and over again with a little twist...

I agree on the lack of originality. However, you will get something like TVB series "Rosy Business" (entertaining) or ID - Threashold of A Persona (realistic on smuggling issues) once in a while. Worth waiting for.